Start a new topic

New Orba Players Welcome!

Hi there and welcome to the new Orba forum!

Please introduce yourself, and let us know what you think. We’re eager to hear your thoughts. 

If you come upon an issue, the fastest way to find a solution is by contacting support@artiphon.com. Though we do our best to always respond, your post in this forum could get lost in the more high-volume threads.

You can also feel free to start a new forum thread if you have an interesting discussion point. It could be about anything – the sounds, the industrial design, the app as it continues to be developed, or anything else!

Rock and roll,

Adam from Artiphon

12 people like this idea

Welcome! Only the melody voice is pentatonic; chords and bass are diatonic, so when using it as a controller those tend to be the most useful voices. The chord voice is particularly great with MPE pad sounds.

1 person likes this

Thank you for the fast response :) So, "no" on the whole changing a mode thing? Because when I saw the videos , I instantly thought about making harp runs in - say mixolydian mode. I'm sure Orba will continue at getting better, though :)

Yes, it's on their roadmap, but the app doesn't yet implement full editing of scales. The eight-note restriction is always going to limit the Orba as a melodic controller; where it really shines as a MIDI controller is in the gestural manipulation of expressive MPE dimensions for more textural kinds of playing, though it's also a very good drum controller.

In the last update they added the ability to change between pentatonic and diatonic (and saving songs if you’re into that).

1 person likes this

Tutorials? It's in the manual? 

I want to be removed from the list for receiving emails. How do I do that? I don't see an UNSUBSCRIBE in any of your email or my account page. Make it stop!

Gary

1 person likes this

@Gary You mean this?

I have a question can this be used Utilizing an Apple iPhone Application, using the screen reader and VOICEOVER feature on my Apple iPhone?

I just ordered a new ORBA Sunday morning March 28 2021

I wasn’t aware that it was going to ship all the way from Yuen Long China, that makes receiving this instrument extra special. I haven’t received the Orva yet but I am as the saying goes *** sitting on the edge of my chair *** waiting for its arrival.

BORN BLIND!
I am totally legally blind,  I do everything by touch and listening using, sensory Motor skills! 

I hope I am understanding the operation of this instrument correctly. After having my significant other, read  all the information provided. I’m hoping this will open up to me a whole new world of possibilities , i’m hoping and praying that I can express myself through touch and motion on this instrument. It sounds as if I can create music, just by touching, sliding-moving around with the instrument in my hand, And much much more, that would be awesome.

hope to be commenting very soon on the arrival of my ORBA!

This is Sally, THE BLIND TRAVELER expressing herself through sounds and motion!

This is my story this is my song praising my Savior all the day long!

Blessed Assurance Eddy Arnold https://youtu.be/thSQit8M4h0

PS. my brother lives in Shanghai China as a teacher teaching the Chinese American English which makes this very special to me thank you very much

4 people like this

Hello all,

Just got my Orba yesterday and started getting familiar with it. I did RTFM :D One thing that I really find odd is that there is NO WAY to stop (not pause!) loop playback apparently. I can't seem to find a way to stop a recorded loop, and then have it start from the beginning. The pause does not do the same thing. Anyway. I'll keep playing with this new toy and see what else I discover.

1 person likes this

Hello everybody! Yesterday I finally became the owner of this magic box, played and played all night. I would like to say thank you guys for the development - a great idea! I installed the application so far on android - I fiddled with bluetooth a little, but everything works. There is a slight delay in the response of the orb through the application, I think this is the norm for the android bluetooth. I also installed it on Win7 - but there is no driver for the device. And I could not find it. The general impression is good, but of course I want more. I really want to have more presets in ethnic style - such instruments as sitar, tabla or for example kamancha, it would be great in the future to load them into the application from the library folder or with a patch. And I also didn't figure out how to stop or remove the loop of each instrument on the Orba itself. Of course, I understand that this is not a full-fledged groovebox - but still ... in the application you can only erase, but stop separately LEAD for example? There are still questions about mixing - a separate adjustment of banks, but this is probably a separate topic.

I just got myself an Orba and am looking for some indepth video tutorials to learn how to use Orba.  Can you help?

Hi. I am the new owner of Orba, I discovered the tool only recently, I am captivated by the concept, everything still works ...

1 person likes this

Hello world!

Tim_Sally

( The blind traveler/musician ) United States of America

Together Forever in Christ Jesus!

Joined together in marriage! By faith alone.

God only made one of you! 

https://youtu.be/xADkgG8U1sQ

I was so excited with the purchase of my Orba, also ordered the ORBA protective sleeve, and carry case. But I don’t use the case very often. I’m so addicted to my  ORBA, that I take it to bed with me. I also went ahead and purchased the instrument 1, instrument 1 case and instrument 1 carry strap.

I can’t wait to learn all the features and experiment with all the instruments available. Anticipating the next firmware update.

BUG REPORT!
I do you have a very important comment, when I set the instrument one in guitar mode. The D major chord is out of tune. I HOPE they’ll improve this with a firmware update!

PS. I am the proud owner of the Orbe and the instrument 1

SALLY

1 person likes this
I received my orba a few weeks ago, and I think it's amazing. I hate that there are so many poor reviews.. I think people are expecting too much from this very cool little thing. I had no expectations, and so far I couldn't be happier with my purchase! Thank you guys for this! I will likely be ordering one or two more. :)

2 people like this

Hi there! I just got my Orba a couple days ago and I'm really wowed by it; you guys packed a lot of stuff into this tiny little half-grapefruit. It's really impressive that a full-on (but simple) synth engine, speaker, 5-hour battery and looper are packed into such a small footprint.

The synth engine is surprisingly robust. It can make some pretty groovy sounds and the gesture based system is so fun. I got this thing specifically to use for "gameified" inspiration, and secondarily as a MIDI controller for Studio One. I'm a beginner to music production (I make ambient-kinda stuff, which the Orba really excels at) and having something I can pick up and have a full 10-20 second loop with about 2-3 minutes of work really helps when I'm stuck or lacking inspiration. 

I want to emphasize how versatile it is, too. I mentioned above that I prefer to make ambient beats, and while there are a couple tiny things missing (time signature being one I can think of off the top of my head) you can make a wide variety of music depending on how good/fast you are at pad drumming. I recently got a good pad controller for my PC too, and I haven't glommed onto it like I have the Orba; having something that's improving my tapping speed and accuracy, and is *fun*, is really helping.

Whoo! I think I've gone on quite long enough. Thanks to Artiphon for making such an amazing little piece of kit. I can't wait to see how it evolves over time. I'm glad I got in on the ground floor with the Orba!

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment