Start a new topic

New Orba Players Welcome!

Hi there and welcome to the new Orba forum!

Please introduce yourself, and let us know what you think. We’re eager to hear your thoughts. 

If you come upon an issue, the fastest way to find a solution is by contacting support@artiphon.com. Though we do our best to always respond, your post in this forum could get lost in the more high-volume threads.

You can also feel free to start a new forum thread if you have an interesting discussion point. It could be about anything – the sounds, the industrial design, the app as it continues to be developed, or anything else!

Rock and roll,

Adam from Artiphon

12 people like this idea

Welcome! Only the melody voice is pentatonic; chords and bass are diatonic, so when using it as a controller those tend to be the most useful voices. The chord voice is particularly great with MPE pad sounds.

1 person likes this

Hi! I ordered my Orba at the end of January. I just got it this past weekend. I had to follow the firmware update instructions pinned in the forums to get it to update the firmware and talk to the app (twice, as it failed the first time). Other than that it's been a fun little device to play with. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

1 person likes this
In the last update they added the ability to change between pentatonic and diatonic (and saving songs if you’re into that).

1 person likes this

With a product like Orba there isn't just one target user. There are many different buyer personas, age groups, skill levels, use cases and musical interests. Might be good for Artiphon to do a survey of their users: age, musical experience, how you expect to use it, what other apps, DAWs or instruments you use, type of music you like etc.

Personally, I'm most interested in using Orba as an alternative to Logic Pro to experiment with musical ideas. My interests are in classic rock, blues. I've played 3 chord rock guitar and bass for many years and have written and recorded songs using Logic Pro including a free rock opera. I occasionally dabble with synths / midi controller, but not too much. I have a Novation Circuit that's gathering dust as I can't find a good way to integrate it into my regular workflow. But I picked up a cheap Launchpad X and that's more promising. (It also has a "scale mode" for which I'm grateful. 

I'll try the Orba as a controller in Logic Pro also, but that's probably secondary to an "untethered" experience. I'm not looking for the Orba App to become a DAW but if I have to use an App to change sounds and keys, you may as well give me a bit more functionality. 

I am curious if there's anyone else coming at it from a similar experience or interest. Or did I walk into the wrong kind of music venue by mistake ;-)

1 person likes this

Having an incredible hard time connecting my iphone to the orba via bluetooth by itself. The orba will connect to the orba app if I connect the orba to another 3rd party app (garage band), then the orba app will see the connection, but what if I don't want to connect to a 3rd party app first? Can someone assist?

1 person likes this

Ben. I can relate. I was hoping I could at least store one preset of my choosing and noodle around on the porch when inspired or plug in earbuds when out somewhere where people might be around.  Thats what Artiphon told me and a big reason why I bought.They said I could load in my own preset sounds..As it turns out my solution for that is Roland Zenbeats. It works perfectly fine on my android phone and 2 touch screen chromebooks...and windows..you can bang out a melody on your back porch and continue developing it in your windows machine.  It also has some 'normal' sounds.  Why Orba didnt include at least one normal soundset for drums and lead escapes me...how about a regular drum kit and regular acoustic piano?  As it is, I;ll use Zenbeats..it works perfectly fine and you can loop and do more with looping than with Orba and it is self contained and you have a larger notes range. It works well w. touchscreens. Fighting Orba to work with android stuff isnt worth the effort..it wont work....their android app is useless.  I found a new Roli Lightpad block for 50 bucks and that does all kinds of stuff. It''s first gen however so it doesnt make the best pad to play on.  I hope they are able to improve Orba Gen1 to the point where it wont require us to buy a Orba Gen2 for things to work right.

1 person likes this

gotcha Steven. no worries. i dont plan on using it to play notes or as a drumpad, but in a DAW it does a lot of things as a controller and the lights are cool :). and for those who are using Roli Studio in a DAW it has several modes that are auto assigned. and i;m sure you can midi assign it to do most anything.

re Orba...anyone else thinks the lettering on Pads 1, 2, and 3 are backwards/upsidedown?  a minour detail that should be fixed..i noticed when i looked at the pic i posted. maybe an Artiphon person will see this or they already are aware

1 person likes this

Hey Andy,

Quantization and more sounds/presets are all in the works!

1 person likes this

Hello all,

Just got my Orba yesterday and started getting familiar with it. I did RTFM :D One thing that I really find odd is that there is NO WAY to stop (not pause!) loop playback apparently. I can't seem to find a way to stop a recorded loop, and then have it start from the beginning. The pause does not do the same thing. Anyway. I'll keep playing with this new toy and see what else I discover.

1 person likes this
I understand. Thanks. I reserved mine on the website. What carrier did it come through? Just wanted to know which delivery van I should be looking out for.

1 person likes this

The Android app is in beta, but you can access it via this link (courtesy of this other thread).

1 person likes this

Hi. I am the new owner of Orba, I discovered the tool only recently, I am captivated by the concept, everything still works ...

1 person likes this

Hello world!

Tim_Sally

( The blind traveler/musician ) United States of America

Together Forever in Christ Jesus!

Joined together in marriage! By faith alone.

God only made one of you! 

https://youtu.be/xADkgG8U1sQ

I was so excited with the purchase of my Orba, also ordered the ORBA protective sleeve, and carry case. But I don’t use the case very often. I’m so addicted to my  ORBA, that I take it to bed with me. I also went ahead and purchased the instrument 1, instrument 1 case and instrument 1 carry strap.

I can’t wait to learn all the features and experiment with all the instruments available. Anticipating the next firmware update.

BUG REPORT!
I do you have a very important comment, when I set the instrument one in guitar mode. The D major chord is out of tune. I HOPE they’ll improve this with a firmware update!

PS. I am the proud owner of the Orbe and the instrument 1

SALLY

1 person likes this

I want to be removed from the list for receiving emails. How do I do that? I don't see an UNSUBSCRIBE in any of your email or my account page. Make it stop!

Gary

1 person likes this

The question was, "when will the Orba app be available in the Google Play store?"

The Apple App Store is not the Google Play Store.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment