Start a new topic

New Orba Players Welcome!

Hi there and welcome to the new Orba forum!

Please introduce yourself, and let us know what you think. We’re eager to hear your thoughts. 

If you come upon an issue, the fastest way to find a solution is by contacting support@artiphon.com. Though we do our best to always respond, your post in this forum could get lost in the more high-volume threads.

You can also feel free to start a new forum thread if you have an interesting discussion point. It could be about anything – the sounds, the industrial design, the app as it continues to be developed, or anything else!

Rock and roll,

Adam from Artiphon

12 people like this idea

Ah - so the forum was written by the same ex-spurt who writes their apps ;)

Actually - I posted a reply on another thread and spotted a message at the top of the screen saying something like "Posts have to be approved before they appear here" - so it appears that Artiphon are choosing what appears in this forum. 

I've contacted the retailer who sold me this thing - the gadget is awful but could maybe become useable with future software upgrades - but I have zero tolerance of companies that censor polite, detailed feedback on their forums.

You're very quick to judge whether or not they are censoring feedback. In this thread alone are many posts critical of the device, including your last one that was approved.

Any forum is subject to spambots showing up to fill the forums with irrelevant advertisements if they just let any post get through.

1 person likes this
So you accept that one post "was approved" but say that I'm being unfair in saying that another post wasn't?

And I absolutely understand about spammers - but nothing in my post is spam, so that's entirely irrelevant, isn't it.

I think you may just be looking in the wrong thread. There's a post from you that seems to fit that description here.

I didn't accept anything. I pointed out that your premise of them censoring negative feedback is observably false. If your post was indeed disapproved, it is not for the reason you assumed.

Thanks Nick but I wrote that afterwards.  The missing post was lengthy and detailed all of the problems encountered as a new user in just one day (and I referred to the missing post in the one you found).

I managed to screen-grab what appears when I post.  Be interested to know if others are seeing the same whenever they post.

Yes, that's normal for all forum posts. I really don't think Artiphon deletes posts; this is almost certainly an issue with Freshdesk, which I don't much like as a platform. The old forum was in Discourse and was much more user-featured, but Discourse isn't suitable for integrated helpdesk functions and I do see why they had to switch. At least they release posts promptly and respond, which is more than the ROLI forums do.

1 person likes this
Thanks again.   I will give them the benefit of the doubt and try retyping the whole thing - annoying as it was lengthy and very detailed.   Have to say, if they're a start-up (or near enough), they might want to look to ensuring that customers and potential investors are NOT alienated or deterred at any point.  It's okay for a company to say "Sorry, we didn't get your post/email/phone call because of XYZ fault - outside of our control" but a business is supposed to correct such things and remain IN control.   It doesn't inspire confidence - and that's especially the case when the mysteriously missing items are complaints and critical reviews.   If Artiphon know this forum platform is unstable and just shrugs it off, that's not a good sign - especially for what is essentially a tech co.  Given the lousy experience I've already had with their appalling software as well as the product itself, being told that they take a slapdash approach to their own portal does nothing to improve my confidence that any of the Orba's problems will ever be resolved.

@ Peter - I don't know if this reassures you, but in my experience the forum is not the weakest link of Artiphon or the Orba. I posted quite a few messages and I had a problem once. Probably hit Cancel or something.

1 person likes this

Yes, it's not unstable – just a bit ugly, unfriendly, and inflexible, and lacking in the kinds of community features that used to make the Discourse forum so much more welcoming as an environment for conversation. But I've never lost a post except by being a dolt, which I do as a matter of daily routine. It has annoying limitations like not displaying formatting (even paragraph breaks) in some mobile browsers. But Artiphon actually use it pretty well.

1 person likes this
Just tried to start a new thread regarding an issue with the thing.  Instead of being posted to the forum, I got an email thanking me for "your ticket" and saying that someone will be contacting me.  What the hell?

The problem I tried to talk to other users about is that this thing triggers false hits - tapping keys 1,2,3, 6, 7, and 8 at medium pressure also triggers the side-slap sound - happens with the thing on any surface, not just hand-held.   It is clearly unable to tell the difference between downward pressure caused my a tap and the "equal and opposite" upward pressure from the surface resulting from that same tap - regardless of how hard the surface, regardless of what material the surface is made of.

@ Peter - It looks like you did start a new thread

Hi! Just placed an order and should receive my Orba mid-March!

In the meantime, I did a lot of RTFM and watched your tutorials. Once thing I noticed is that right now, it doesn't seem that we're able to mute/unmute parts (I just posted a new thread as well on that topic).

Is there any chance this could be added in a future update? Maybe something like HOLD PLAY/PAUSE BUTTON + PART to mute/unmute? This would allow us to develop full songs instead of 8 bars loops...

Thanks!

1 person likes this

Hi! I ordered my Orba at the end of January. I just got it this past weekend. I had to follow the firmware update instructions pinned in the forums to get it to update the firmware and talk to the app (twice, as it failed the first time). Other than that it's been a fun little device to play with. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

1 person likes this

Hi,

Got my Orba yesterday. Can't wait to learn it proper. My first try with it was a bit underwhelming, but first tries often are :) I got it to control my DAWs - i.e. drawing automation curves with motion gestures. My music theory is just about non-existent - which is the other reason I got the Orba :D

Am I safe to assume the scale is set to pentatonic in both major and minor options? It's of course meditative to just jam around with pentatonic when nobody's watching, but is there a planned update to have a full major/minor?

This is all assuming that it is, in fact a pentatonic scale :D If it's not, ignore me. Anyways, glad to be on board and I see a lot of potential for Orba in the future :P

Login or Signup to post a comment