Start a new topic

Any chance that we will see a "Smarter" Strum feature

First of all, I am still waiting for the arrival of my Instrument 1 (it's back order everywhere!), and I've been just reading the manuals and forum online, so whatever I say below may be doable already.

Anyway, from what I understand, there's a huge gap between the current "Smart Strum" and the standard playing modes. Smart Strum is basically the Pad mode, and we get 12 big pads, each assigned to a pre-defined chord. Jumping from that to the standard playing modes (fretted or not) means from single finger triggering a chord to a full chord fingering.

But, it's year 2020, and Instrument 1 is supposed to be revolutionary product. Instead of recognizing a chord based on a pressed note, couldn't it recognize a chord by a fingering pattern? 2 to 3 two-finger patterns down the neck could give a player tens of chords to be played on all 6 strings! 

Come to that, you could assign single notes to chords and get 72 different ones… I think we batted this around on the old forum at one point, though it's gone temporarily inaccessible and I don't trust myself not to be confabulating. There might even be a way to do it using a mad MidiFire patch which would fake Smart Strum in tap mode by remapping each note on the fingerboard to a separate value for the CC message of your choice, and then remapping the pitches from the bridge triggers to a new set of notes depending which CC value is set out. There's probably a reason this wouldn't work, but I'm not immediately seeing it…
… although (continuing to think this through) you wouldn't then be able to use the arpeggiator with it, which is one of the coolest things about Smart Strum.

To be honest, it's not an entirely impossible task. Since the notes can all be changed in the fretted mode, it's possible to remap the notes so that commonly used chords can be achieved easily with 2 to 3 fingers, but the open strings will have to be remained the same within the same tuning.

Since I can program, I have thought about writing a MIDI filter to remap the notes, but then I realized that in fretted mode, the notes pressed on the strings are probably not sent through MIDI (correct me if I am wrong).

They are in fretted tap mode (as opposed to fretted strum), where essentially the I1 becomes a Seaboard in the form of a guitar fingerboard with six additional notes available on the bridge triggers. So you'd map all the note-on messages on the fingerboard to CC values with a different one for each pitch, and in MidiFire (for example) use a StreamByter script to calculate a set of pitches for the six bridge triggers to send out on the basis of the CC value received. All this will make more sense (or possibly less) once you have it in your hands – you'd be faking strum mode in tap mode. I might even give it a go myself to see whether I'm just talking wibble; it'd be a very cool trick if it worked. If you're comfortable with a little light coding, you'll have an insane amount of fun with the I1. (I like MidiFire for the way patches work between Mac desktop and iOS, but Bome would probably do most of the same stuff, and Midiflow on iOS is a code-free alternative.)
(Gah! Why do everyone else's paragraph breaks show up in Freshdesk but not mine? I have this in the ROLI forums too…)

Can't wait to actually try it ...

I missed the ks but I was lucky to pick one up on ebay a few month ago and I LOVE the fretted strum mode. being able to pick up new songs and getting to focus on learning the progression instead of learning chords is amazing. the point of the fretted strum to mode is to keep it simple though and I think mini-chords may be missing that goal. if you are ready for chords just take the plunge and set it to guitar. ;)

that said ... needing to find the correct scale for a song and possibly needing to adjust capo mid song or even program a custom scale to deal with incidentals can be frustrating. what I've been thinking is that the strings could be split sort of like is available in piano mode. I would like to see a mode where the first three strings fretted minor chords and the other three strings fretted major chords. it could then be set to a chromatic scale and be able to play any basic progression without having to reprogram it or mess with the capo mid-song. for bonus points I would make which string the split was on adjustable rather than just split in the middle like I suggested or just split at the 1st string like the piano has now.

Hey, I just think up of a simple yet totally workable way to increase the Smart Strum's chord choices from 12 to 24 or more.

The Instrument 1 is a "guitar" like instrument, all I need is a "effect pedal"! For example, press the C Chord, step on the pedal, a MIDI filter will treat every note play as a C#. It will retain all the features of the Smart Strum, but 12 Chords become 24. Add another pedal, I get 36! And, the pedal doesn't even have to be anything fancy, all it needs is on/off.

Now, I really can't wait ... it will be my pet project for the coming months :-D

Login or Signup to post a comment