Follow this article for step-by-step instructions.
Same here -- completely died on first attempt to update firmware. Tried the recommended procedures as shown above, no response, logs indicate unit stuck in DFU mode constantly.
Reset usb-c, turned app on and off several times, held power button down for 10 to 120 secs, no response.
DOA What a huge disappointment, Artiphon!
Mine is unresponsive, too... I just got it today, did the firmware upgrade, and it just froze up about an hour later. lights 1,2,3,4 on, nothing works... I went through the FAQ procedure, no luck. My firmware upload on my iMac said:
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Downloading Update Info
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Downloading Updater Utilities
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Downloading Updater Util - Capsense Bootloader
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Downloading Updater Util - ESP32
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Downloading Updater Util - DFU
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Uploading Firmware
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Executing: /Users/*********/Library/Artiphon/Orba/UpdateUtilities/dfu-util-mac/dfu-util -l
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Unable to update - Orba not connected
11 Sep 2020 10:02:20pm - Upload Failed
Yep me too exactly as above. Sent email to support and we will see.
And its still a brick.
Still a brick I tried it both ways. It does not turn on before the update and trying the update both ways fail.
Here is the screen from the drag and drop method.
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Update Info
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Utilities
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - Capsense Bootloader
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - ESP32
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - DFU
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Uploading Firmware
15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Executing: C:\Users\jbrun\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l
15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Unable to update - Orba not connected
15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Upload Failed
ANYONE FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT????
Still bricked. Hoping support will contact me.
The updated article made a few things clear, but my Orba is still bricked up after following all the steps.
(Isn't recognized by Windows, and in the debug windows when using the "shift" method it isn't even recognized as a DFU device.)
And I still don't get how I am supposed to get those Debug & Update logs.
All I get is this Information after pressing the "i" button.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It's good to hear some of you have made progress but mine is totally dead and none of the suggested fixes work. Still no word from support which is very frustrating.
This is a ridiculous solution but it worked for me. Try doing it all over again on a DIFFERENT computer. I know I could not believe it either.
I left it plugged in overnight, and the next morning it worked fine. It ran the firmware upgrade, and it seems to be working well now.
update: that was shortlived. after connecting it to my android device, Orba is stuck and wont be recognized via usb direct..guess i need to pen a ticket