Start a new topic

re up May 5: INSTRUMENT 1 Editor for PC

thoay 5

Hi, I wish you could think about a Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 Editor for PC
with some sound, so we can edit and hear immediatly the result.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sadly now I see also ORBA is apple-centric.

Hope thr release of some app for windows/android and some sessions for Cubase.

Still waiting for 2 Orbas and my poor Instrument 1 is laying in a corner taking dust.

Ciao you all.

2 people like this idea

I've never much missed the Instrument 1 app sounds on desktop, where there are so many wonderful third-party options; the sounds in the iOS app have their uses (particularly if you run them through effects), but apart from being well sampled and layered for MPE playability they're not particularly great simply as sounds. But sounds in the Windows app at least would be a workaround for the Windows MIDI issue that requires the editor to be closed when you're using a sound source; discussion of this in the old forum was focussed on MIDI-handling solutions, but sounds in the app might solve the problem by another route.

1 person likes this

I know the sound are poor, but I'd only want to hear how change the sound when change the settings.

Thanks anyway.

1 person likes this

Agree - how else can I check my settings in the editor are producing the right effect?

Really, really disappointed in this oversight, and the poor communication of it. Will not be recommending this or Orba, with such shoddy software support. It's a MIDI instrument, for goodness sake - it's useless without software! And to say "there's such good software out there already" without creating better prebuilt configs for those DAWs is just flogging plastic, basically.  Gimmicks.

[Gah! Why does Freshdesk make it so difficult to correct a simple typo??]

I should have made it clearer above that the limitation is in Windows, not in Artiphon's software. With class-compliant MIDI hardware controllers, the Windows driver for USB MIDI only allows a particular MIDI port to be opened by one application at a time. As Marco suggested, sound in the Artiphon Windows editor would offer a workaround of sorts – though as you rightly say, it wouldn't help with hearing the effect of settings changes in other sound sources. But ultimately this isn't an issue of Artiphon's making.

The upside is that, aside from some rather blunt sensitivity and tilt-angle settings you'll normally want to set once and be done, the actual parameters available to tweak in the editor are about tuning and playing method, not the sound produced. Even on Mac I never find myself needing live audio feedback when adjusting settings in the editor (as opposed to in my synth or DAW), and frankly the only reason for having the editor open at the same time is that I've been too lazy to close it. Could you say more about the kind of use case where you're finding it an issue?

1 person likes this
Hi I'm considering purchasing the artiphon to send midi to a daw, I saw many users complaining about the windows editor. What is the problem with windows ? do you like the Instrument for controlling vst, kontakt and synths? What's your opinion ? I play guitar I would like to avoid a midi keyboard. Thank you

The issue Marco and Neil refer to is that you can't have the Artiphon editor for Windows open at the same time as another MIDI app; you have to close the editor and then open the other app. This is the result of a limitation in Windows' generic native driver for MIDI over USB; it's fine on Mac and iOS. But the situations in which you'd actually want to have both open at the same time are pretty limited; it's mainly an inconvenience in the early days of trying out different presets and sensitivity settings, as there are no onboard sounds in the desktop editor (only in the iOS app) and so you won't be able to switch settings on the fly, though you can load four presets at a time into the user preset slots on the I1 and switch between them on the instrument itself. In practice most people quite quickly settle on a few favourite or custom presets they load directly into the user slots on the I1, and only need to go into the editor once in a blue moon, e.g. to switch between MPE and single-channel modes. And of course if you have an iPhone you can do it on that anyway.

It's an amazing controller; every guitarist with the slightest interest in electronic music should have one, particularly for its MPE capabilities. The one important thing to be aware of as a guitarist is that it's primarily a tap instrument; you can strum and pick after a fashion, but it's not what it's best at and you quickly realise you can play better, faster, and more expressively without using your picking hand at all and just treating it as a touch-sensitive keyboard that just happens to have the physical shape and ergonomic affordances of a guitar fretboard – in effect, something like a ROLI Seaboard in the form of a guitar fingerboard.

I used to use it with Kontakt instruments much more than I currently do, though I do like it with the Evolution Archtop and Realivox Blue. But these days I use it almost entirely with Equator, which is so far and away the best synth for MPE (with no disrespect to Cypher and Strobe, which are also both excellent at what they do) that everything else on desktop seems a bit pointless. You do need to remap CC1 to CC74 for best results, though; this lets you control the Slide dimension with the accelerometer tilt on the I1. (NOISE on iOS has thoughtfully done this for you, but it's only a preset player, though a very good one.)

Incidentally, ROLI Studio Player (desktop preset player combining the synth engines of Equator, Cypher, and Strobe, with hundreds of MPE patches) is currently on a 70%-off offer from Plugin Boutique with code PBSTUDIO60, valid till 11 November and bringing the price down to £31 or $39. Assuming it's licensed through ROLI's Connect system (as I think all their paid software is these days), it'll likely offer an upgrade path to the full versions of those synths that means it'll pay for itself even just on one of them.

1 person likes this

Hi Nick,

thank you for your prompt reply.

I grew up with the old fashion EZ-AG from Yamaha and I have a lot of MIDI filtering in the background to make it usuable, The thing that I'm missing the most is that the frets on the EZ-AG are not velocity sensitive. I need to remap CC to velocity. I hope this Artiphon will solve this issue. 

Not quite: my issue is that I can't hear the outcome of settings in the Editor. The Editor for Windows does not connect the sound, so you can't play the instrument in the Editor, only in a DAW.

So, in order to get to know the instrument 1 and it's various settings, to try out a few things, you'll NEED an iPhone or iPad. It's not clear from any of the documentation that this is the case. I managed to find an old iPhone 5 and get it working, but it's a bit misleading if you say you say it's Windows compatible without mentioning the limitations.

Ah, the EZ-AG! Yes, I still have one of those around, though I picked it up used, long after they'd been discontinued. My daughter used to steal it to play in her primary school band. And if you go back far enough there was the Casio DG-20; I did have the DG-10 model, but that didn't have MIDI, to my lasting regret…

1 person likes this

In fairness, though, there are enormous numbers of Windows users who don't seem to find this an issue for them at all. It's certainly true that the getting-to-know-you phase will be quicker on Mac and iOS, but even the initial getting-to-know-you phase is perfectly manageable on Windows if you just load the settings you want to switch between into the preset slots four at a time. (There's a very long-running discussion of whether four preset slots is enough, though…!)

2 people like this

Windows actually does have a new UWP API for Windows 10 that support multi MIDI clients. The problem, AFAIK, is that it only works when all the clients are using the same API.

2 people like this

</div>

<div class='btn-group' id='post-44002270950-vote-toolbar'></div>
					</div>
					<div class=

Login or Signup to post a comment