Start a new topic

Orba: A Few Comments/Criticisms

1. The iOS app seems a bit awkward. I've managed to erase songs I created on the Orba rather than save them as I intended. Need to explore further, but it sure would be nice to have some sort of documentation on how the program is supposed to work. Haven't had that issue with the Mac app.

2. It seems like we are limited to 8 bars per loop. True? Because as soon as I hit that mark I start hearing sounds I already recorded. Would really be nice to have the same feedback with the leds as to where you are in the loop while first recording as you do after first terminating the loop.

3. Would like to be able to turn off the damn metronome during recording after I get my first track (typically drums) done. After that I know where the beat is.

Other than that, it's fun and engaging.

2 people like this idea

Ugh. The metronoooooome.

To disable the metronome - while in Record mode, hold A + BPM for 2 seconds.

You get 8 4/4 bars WORTH OF TIME. It is not quantized so, you can actually freely subdivide those measures in any way you want. You can slow down the tempo and do triplets on each beat. You can treat the quarter clicks as 8th notes, 16th notes, whatever. If you start by setting up the rhythm subdivided however you want, then turn off the metronome, you can have lots of flexibility.

You get 8 4/4 bars WORTH OF TIME. It is not quantized so, you can actually freely subdivide those measures in any way you want. You can slow down the tempo and do triplets on each beat. You can treat the quarter clicks as 8th notes, 16th notes, whatever. If you start by setting up the rhythm subdivided however you want, then turn off the metronome, you can have lots of flexibility.

Thanks for the triplicate answer Gabriel, read you loud and clear lol. 

Yes, it is true that you can slow down the tempo and fit more notes; but then the metronome becomes useless and many users lack the skill to lay down a proper beat without one. 
I myself am luckily quite good at it, so I slow down tempo all the way and add an initial drum loop for timing, and then continue my recording from there; but even with the additional space it is still quite short and the lack of ability to see where you are at in the recording process (why would Artiphon give you led feedback on playback time, but not recording time??) will always be an issue. 

If they would allow you to slow the tempo and alter the metronome to different timings, as well as give a visual feedback of which bar you are recording, it would make a very big difference as to the 'usability' of the Orba as a stand alone device. 

1 person likes this

I agree that this would be a very welcome update or even upgrade. I was just posting this here as a workaround because both the question of triplets/subdivisions and the max number of measures has come up in other threads. I agree that other meters and a longer loop time would make this much more useful. One issue is that when you combine that with quantizing, another often requested feature, this all has to be done very carefully and intelligently. If they add quantizing without adding different time signatures and subdivisions, they will actually remove some of the flexibility we have right now. I think this is why they're taking so long to implement these two frequently asked for features.

I agree that this would be a very welcome update or even upgrade. I was just posting this here as a workaround because both the question of triplets/subdivisions and the max number of measures has come up in other threads. I agree that other meters and a longer loop time would make this much more useful. One issue is that when you combine that with quantizing, another often requested feature, this all has to be done very carefully and intelligently. If they add quantizing without adding different time signatures and subdivisions, they will actually remove some of the flexibility we have right now. I think this is why they're taking so long to implement these two frequently asked for features.

Login or Signup to post a comment