Start a new topic

Firmware update issue with Orba firmware 0.13.5 and app v0.14.34

UPDATE: Orba app version 0.15.14 fixed the issue with the original factory firmware version 0.13.5 connecting to the app.

We found an issue with Orba firmware 0.13.5, the version that is on many Orbas out of the box, and the Orba app. When connecting an Orba with firmware 0.13.5 the app crashes. We are working on a fix. In the meantime, there is a workaround:

If your app crashes when connecting to a PC or Mac via USB:

Turn Orba off

Press and hold the volume up (+) button

While holding the volume up (+) button, press the power button

Orba shows no LED's, that is normal

Connect Orba to a Mac or Windows computer using a USB cable

Open Orba app version 0.14.34  (available here: 

https://artiphon.com/pages/downloads )

Wait for Orba app to show this screen:

Click "Update"

If that screen does not show up, go to the settings and click on the cloud symbol next to "firmware update" while holding the shift key:

If there is still an issue please contact support@artiphon.com

Just got mine today. Downloaded the software for windows 10 but it won't install. It keeps saying a connection with the server could not be established.

Orba app version 0.15.14 fixed the issue with the original factory firmware version 0.13.5 connecting to the app.

Lo he conseguido!!!!!

Amigos, hacer esto;

Cuando esta dormido lo enchufas al pc por usb y actualizas, cuando se encienden las luces hace como un tex, lo desenchufas y lo vuelves a enchufar y se actualiza sin mas problema. Ya se que suena raro, pero así lo he conseguido, por desesperación...  XD

I have succeeded !!!!!

Friends, do this;

When it is asleep you plug it into the pc by usb and update, when the lights turn on it does like a text, you unplug it and plug it back in and it updates without further problem. I know it sounds weird, but that's how I managed it, out of desperation ... XD

+1 for the method outlined by Lee, it worked for me. 

it seems

weird

that it worked

but i'm not going to question it.

Glad I stumbled to this article finally.
Windows 10 PC.
This DFU technique worked for me just now with some nuance.
Did not get the popup so did shift-update (cloud). Kept saying failed with Retry button. Retries no good repetitively.
Left everything as is, just unplugged the USB and replugged it. Suddenly a DOS window opened with lines indicating a driver download and install. Wait it out!!!
As soon as the DOS window self-closed, the Orba app popped up the DFU update screen first hoped for.
For me it appeared to complete but it was still there, so I hit update again. At the end of this update run it changed to Lets Play - seems to be a fake button, but there is a X at upper left to close the popup.
Orba normal start lights were back on and the app showed the device info including the desired FW version.

Ok,
here's the correct way to solve bricked Orba.
I've used anoter PC, as somebody suggested as I couldn't do it on the first PC.
But maybe same PC will be ok after this steps too.

1. get your Orba after over a year of waiting
2. have it bricked in the first week of using :P totally no response, zero LEDs, no sound ;(
3. don't plug your orba to PC yet, install the 0.14.34 orba app
4. press and hold volume +, then press power button too. release buttons (LEDs won't light)
5. plug to the PC. turn on orba app
6. wait for some drivers to be installed (i had that step)

7. if the app says that you should update firmware, click the update button

8. orba will blink it's LEDs for the first time
9. unplug Orba fast

(you should be able to play sounds after this step, but I wanted to try to complete the firmware update
10. connect orba to PC again, open app, you will notice that your orba's battery is loading

11. shift + click on the firmware update button

12. talk amongst yourselves as reccomended :P

13. wait ~2 minutes

14. nailed it! ;)

15. keep your fingers crossed Artiphon will do something really soon to fix this, and that Orba won't get bricked again

16. keep your fingers crossed so that Artiphon will think of a LED blink pattern that could communicate some messages to the owner while pressing some physical buttons to do the hard reset or put the orba into this weird DFU mode.

1 person likes this

Same problem, here... Unable to update, saved it only by doing a hard reset (thanks, @Marcelo Bradaschia)!

1 person likes this

Confirmed what Lee says. The application on the phone did not connect, but this time I was able to perform the update normally and everything works properly!

Quite an unusual way to update though :)

Hey all, if you're still experiencing issues after completing these steps, please open a support ticket with us so we can help get you back to making music again as soon as possible.

windows 10.  I followed Otakar's instructions of unplugging usb when lights appeared on the orba, seemed to work but only halfway the Orba still wasnt working properly bluetooth via Iphone.  I plugged the orba back into usb on pc and it showed current firmware but phone wasnt showing firmware at all so I tried clicking the cloud in the Orba app holding the shift key like an earlier instruction and that finished the firmware update 100% working on pc and Iphone.

1 person likes this

I've spent a lot of time trying the steps proposed, but didn't get it to work... For those who have an unresponsive Orba, disconnect USB and hold volume (-) and power button for 15 seconds for a hard reset.

me too

same prob

Following this get the Orba bricked. Several attempts of repeating the update with no luck. But what actually helped and managed to get the Orba updated, was to unplug USB cable during the process, just when the leds on Orba started to blink.

After several attempts, I managed to get the firmware update, and now the app doesn't crash anymore. Everything is working fine, i'm just saddened to learn that the "save songs" option has been disabled.

Login or Signup to post a comment