Start a new topic

Chord Mixing with example from New Order

I've found that once you record notes, they won't change even if you change the patch or the key afterwards. You can leverage this to record/overdub octave bass or borrow a seventh chord for example. I created a loop of New Order's Perfect kiss using this idea. Sharing..

song

3 people like this idea

@ Subskybox 

That is beautiful. May I make a request? Louise by The Human League ...

Cool!

@GJ van Mulbregt

I just finished the updates to my chord editor, so this is a good song for me to test with. Stay Tuned :)

1 person likes this

@GJvanMulbregt I never heard this song before but am a fan. It was a bit tricky to get the chords with the Fiddler but it will be much easier when I finish the Editor. Anyways, here's your request :)

song
(79.1 KB)

1 person likes this

Sharing some other cover song loops...

song
song
(87.4 KB)
song

1 person likes this

@Subskybox 

This is gorgeous. Thank you very much! :-)

I don't want to sound too eager, but I'm looking forward to your Editor!

@ Subskybox

I am sorry to read (in the Hacking thread) that you are taking a break from your exploration of the interior of the Orba.

Anyway. Maybe I can make 3 more requests?

- We are the robots by Kraftwerk

- The Book of love by Magnetic Fields (perfect cover by Peter Gabriel)

- Under Pressure by Queen

Please don't feel obligated to anything. But you'd be doing me a big favor with that.:-)

1 person likes this

I have a number of other big projects going on, but I accept your challenge. I am a huge Kraftwerk fan, I love the Magnetic Fields and who doesn't love Queen. I won't commit to a timeline but I enjoy creating little loops. Hacking the Orba is rewarding, but its certainly not fun. Creating Loops is the Fun for me. I have some ideas on quantizing but I truly feel Artiphon will release these features in the next few months in coordination with the release of Orba 2. I don't want to spend dozens of hours making something that Artiphon will be releasing soon. Who knows, they might even release custom scales/chords which would destroy all the work I've done.

I don't even know which loop to start with since I love all of those songs!

That's very kind of you. I'm not in a hurry. To make the choice even more challenging:

- Hey There Little Insect by Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers

- Black Light by Material

- (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea by Elvis Costello

- Country Boy by Tyra B

- Take Five by Dave Brubeck

:-)

Take Five is a great challenge but we haven't figured out how to change the time signature yet. :)

I'm pretty lazy. And that's why I tell myself that it's good not to know some things. Things that sometimes take away the magic of something beautiful. Example: Since I know what modulation is, I often experience it as a trick.

Nevertheless, I googled "time signature". That went well :-). I already knew Take Five has a less common rhythm - 5/4-,  just like Golden Brown by The Stranglers.

Then Path Of The Blazing Sarong by Bill Ravi Harris & The Prophets must be extra challenging. That sounds like an extra weird rhythm. And - maybe because of that - the tune never bores me. I may be wrong but it reminds me a bit of Black Light by Material. 

Take 5 is an old favourite. I spent a while learning this on Dualo. :-)

https://youtu.be/1KJpy80CNAs

The Orba Diablo fell apart the first time I tried juggling it on a USB cable. But I've got loftier ambitions now, for a triple Orba mounted in a Pool triangle, when my v2 turns up...;-)

Take 5 beckons.

1 person likes this

Bravo! :-)

@BJG145. Is that you playing Take 5 on that crazy instrument!?! Amazing!!!! You are quite the musician!

Login or Signup to post a comment