Start a new topic

Introducing Orba 2

We’re excited to announce the release of something we’ve been working on behind the scenes for quite some time. 

Introducing Orba 2... 

Featuring a brand new sound engine that includes audio samples, Orba 2 is the first musical device that packs an entire studio into the palm of your hand. This means you can play instruments like electric guitars and upright pianos and more adventurous sounds like vocals, found sounds, custom artist songs, and more. 

With Orba 2, you can also capture or import your own sounds to create unique instruments. With the press of a button in the Orba App, any sound can be turned into an Orba preset. For example, a bicycle bell, a bird in a tree, and your roommate’s singing can all be played, looped, and shared as a musical melody. 

“We want people to express themselves musically in their everyday lives,” explains Artiphon CEO Mike Butera. “We’ve dreamed of allowing anyone to play any sound they can imagine, anywhere they go, without worrying about historical instrument skills or abstract music theory. Orba 2 finally makes that possible.”

For a more in depth list at the differences (and similarities) between Orba and Orba 2, you can see this list below. 

Orba 2 is now available to order from our website, and through a number of our retail partners (you can see our Where To Buy page for a complete list). All orders are estimated to ship in July, and fulfillment time will vary based on the courier you chose and your shipping location. 

We’ve begun to answer a couple of questions in our Knowledge Base, but feel free to ask any additional questions below. 

2 people like this idea

Well said Steve, that’s exactly how I feel. “Hey guys, pay us to test out this new device we are creating, so we can make a new device that will actually do all of the things we want it to! And then it can be yours for only $140 more!!”

1 person likes this

Questions about orba 2:

1. Is the synth engine the same as orba 1 or is different?

2. The sample  feature work with effects with gestures? Will be these effects configurable?

3. The loop function work with samples?

4. You need to choose if you want to play with samples or synth or you can play both selectin samples in one channel and synth engine in another channel?

5. Can you select one different sample for ecah pad or you only can select one sample for entire channel to play it in scale mode? Or can you select both modes?

Thank you.

1 person likes this
I won't be buying an Orba 2, but that's not because I feel betrayed. I chose the original Orba on the basis of the product that was reviewed. It's a subtractive synth design, which is to say that most people will have to rely on presets because it takes time to learn how to use subtractive synthesis to get the sound you want. A lot of people have expressed a wish for an Orba that samples, and here it is. I can guarantee that if you looked inside Orba 2 you'd see that it has many times more memory. I estimate about 3 orders of magnitude more. I would expect to see more powerful hardware there too. Is Orba 2 worth the extra money? I think that would depend on the competition in the niche of handheld sampling-playing musical instruments. I don't know the field so I can't say.

1 person likes this
Oh I did just take quick look at the field. The only other true handheld I found was the pocket operator, which is a great stocking filler for a young teen, but is very lo-fi. The only other sampler in the same price-range is the Korg Volca Sample 2, which has a great reputation but isn't a handheld. I think it's mostly intended to be used with a MIDI cable or via the clunky touch keyboard/sequencer.

2 people like this
I noticed the site now says shipping in August, is that a release delay for new and previous orders, or representative of "if you ordered now, it would ship later than if you ordered a month ago due to demand"?

I really don't understand the philosophy of working on a new product with new features, if the product that is already released (Orba 1) still has no reliable firmware major release. It's still in Beta !!!! With thousands of promises for future updates.....

Why should I still ave trust in this company, believe that there will be updates for a product that was never maintained very well.

I mean, you have capabilities to develop stuff like "OrbaCam" but there is still no useful quantisation? This sucks.... I am completely disappointed and would not trust any other products you release anymore!

Welcome to the Club Robert! Never buying Artiphon products again…

Has anyone received one of these yet?

They're not shipping yet; only a handful for review have been released AFAIK. I ordered one a while back and it's currently indicating delivery in September.

Hi, glad to have Orba2 here. But, I couldn't buy it from the Japanese seller, because they don't have it yet. How can I get Orba2 and shipped to Japan?

Don't get TOO excited everyone. The Orba 2 does NOT have the ability to SAVE anything once you've spent all the hours choosing sounds, composing something or looping your song.

It cannot save ANYTHING...

Theoretically, this essential functionality might be added "in the coming month..." whatever that might mean...

I'm rather disappointed to say the least....

"Don't get TOO excited everyone. The Orba 2 does NOT have the ability to SAVE anything once you've spent all the hours choosing sounds, composing something or looping your song."

Garage Band on iPad via BT MIDI.

1 person likes this

Huh..I don't own an ipad / run garage band.

But I'm definitely curious. Do you own and Orba 2? Have you actually tried your suggestion and does that actually work and were you truly able to save the song / loop / sounds to allow it to be saved and reloaded without losing anything?

Or was that a theory / guess?

I'd definitely love to try anything to make the thing a bit more than a fancy noise maker / sketchpad at the moment...

I don't own an Orba but the reason I purchased an O2 is because I saw these videos and am excited to use this Orba/GB BT workflow. Essentially it turns the Orba into a wireless Midi Polyphonic Expression (MPE) controller, and you get all of the sweet Garage Band capabilities for doing all those DAW-esque things that make creating music fun.  

https://artiphon.com/blogs/artiphon-blog/how-to-use-orba-by-artiphon-with-garageband-ios?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpeaYBhDXARIsAEzItbFm68YpVU1lWVLa5ZF1my9tDX9mw7W2c3OxxWw_8mMnTPjV_ULFkAkaAgqUEALw_wcB

https://artiphon.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/44002197541-how-do-i-connect-orba-to-garageband-

https://koalaaudio.com.au/blogs/news/how-to-use-the-artiphon-orba-with-garage-band

https://www.tiktok.com/@artiphon/video/7000475645469904133?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7000475645469904133

In addition to Garage Band, which is totally free and there are tons of sound files and plugins for it, the Orba is also compatible with one of the best beat-making DAWS out there... BeatMaker3.  

1 person likes this

I hope it ALL works out for you when you have a thing in your hand.

I DO have a thing in my hand and...it's not doing a basic thing.

I'm not in the Apple world...and please do not say I should be just to make thing thing work...

We'll see what happens and if they can get the software to allow ACTUAL saving / reloading...Which WAS the original reason I posted what I did...

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment