Oh well, I wouldn't hold my breath. Being nice to Artiphon doesn't work and neither does criticism. It's just a company that wants your money. I won't be fooled again.
I'm sure the Orba 1 will still be supported; it's a brilliant device in its own right, and not everyone will need the new sample features, which needed new hardware to be possible and have pushed up the price significantly for the Orba 2. But a lot of people have been asking for a model which can load your own sounds, and Artiphon have delivered. I expect quantisation will also be on the way for the Orba 1 in due course; it's been on the roadmap for a while, and it doesn't seem like something that would be hardware-dependent.
For a more in depth list on the differences between Orba and Orba 2, you can find the list here, or in the new Forum section we’ve created specifically for Orba 2.
Orba 2 is a significant hardware upgrade with a completely rebuilt sound engine to allow sample playback. It has a 3x faster processor, 32x more RAM, and gigabytes more storage for your songs, samples, and presets.
Although there are going to be things that only Orba 2 can do, we’re still committed to supporting both software and firmware development for Orba 1.
That would be nice if Artiphon starts supporting the Orba 1.
After a year and a half we still can't export to midi. The support comes for 90% from fellow users. All of the empty promises come from Artiphon. Top of our to-do list, blah, blah.
Evan's now clarified further in the quantisation thread (sorry, I can only link to the page, not the individual post): the Orba 1 didn't have the processing power to quantise while the looper was running. A pity it couldn't be got to work on the original hardware; it's not something I've been badly missing, but it's certainly been a barrier to the kind of effortless standalone use that's so much part of the Orba philosophy. (I rather liked the way it trained me in precision timing, but I entirely recognise that's not really the aim…) They evidently gave it their best shot, and have found a solution even if it's not the one that Orba 1 users have been hoping. The Orba 2 is a bit of a diceroll at this price point, lifting it out of the sub-$100 sweet spot, but I hope it does well for them. I'm certainly in.
I'm not at all convinced that Artiphon 'evidently gave it their best shot'. On the contrary. Artiphon started supplying stores while kickstarter backers had to wait. And then they removed existing functionality (import/export as midi and avi). Then a lot of 'It is at the top of the todolist' and 'the team is working 24/7' blabla. And a few minor updates. But perhaps I'm overlooking something very big that justifies some faith in Artiphon's good intentions.
Also, it doesn't inspire confidence to wait with bad news about Orba-1 until the release of Orba-2. To me, that doesn't look like acting in good faith.
I can hear that Orba 2 will fix and improve, with better processor, etc..., the issues met in Orba 1 but can we be sure that Orba 2 will be okay and we didn't need an Orba 3 ? Because spend 150€ again for something expected on the Orba 1 already bought it's not really good, Orba 1 was a nice promise but a deception once in hand, I'm not really confident to spend again on a Orba 2 if we meet the same difficulties.
For that for me, the owner of Orba 1 should have a reduction on Orba 2 if we send you back the Orba 1 for example, it's commercial after all this time spend with the issues.
@Christopher: Can I ask what the other devices are that you're recommending? (No agenda here; just geeking out.)