Start a new topic
Implemented

The inability to save my songs on my Orba 2 is a deal breaker fo me.

This is functionality that should have been an 'out of the box' feature, not a "We'll add it in the coming month.." which is the reply I got from support.

To be honest, If I don't get a response soon about WHEN this ESSENTIAL USABILITY FEATURE will be available - at the moment it's barley above a glorified toy and NOT worth the money or my wait time - I will want my money back...soon...

Why would I want to compose / write / take the time on this if I can't save it?

EXCEEDINGLY disappointed....

4 people like this idea

Lots of toys have made it onto successful songs. electro~harmonix touch synth, various Casio keyboards, circuit bent kids toys, etc, etc, etc.

This is very disheartening.  Why would you advertise this toy as being able to save recordings!!!  I knew nothing about the Orba 1.  With all of the money you spent on advertising, you could have spent on a coder worth a damn and then left it to Affilitate marketing for others to do the heavy lifting.  This is so freaking disappointing!  I just got my Orba 2 yesterday.  I am an Android and PC user. 

Apparently the Orba 1 app can save a newly created song to the app.  Now how to get it out of the app is the question.  I assume it's saved somewhere in my files in a proprietary format?  Do you have a plugin that will turn it into an MP3 or MP4?

Jennifer Goodier
said 18 hours ago

Apparently the Orba 1 app can save a newly created song to the app.  Now how to get it out of the app is the question.  I assume it's saved somewhere in my files in a proprietary format?  Do you have a plugin that will turn it into an MP3 or MP4?

The files are stored somewhere for both the O1 app and the O2 app. The O1 files might not include some info in support of new features in the O2 like sampling and quantizing, so even though the O1 app can save O2 songs, the O2 might not be able to read them back in, or at least to load a song properly if it uses some of the new features. I am looking into this myself.

The easiest way to save a song into MP3 is to record the output of either Orba directly using a DAW or audio recorder like Audacity (free and excellent) and exporting to MP3. That's the best way to get the actual sounds generated by the Orba into an audio file.

The easiest way to save a song as a MIDI (.MID) file is to use the Orba as a MIDI controller with a DAW or MIDI synth and "play" the song into the DAW while recording the MIDI. This will NOT record the sounds that the Orba is generating. It will record the MIDI "events" into a MIDI file that can then be "played" through a DAW and/or MIDI synth.

From pages 29 and 30 of Orba 2 and Orba user Manual:

@Artiphon For the sake of transparency you may consider editing the manual so that it reflects the sad reality that saving is not currently a working option on the Orba 2.

3 people like this

Excellent point, @Paulo!

2 people like this
Seriously... I'm returning mine to get a refund today since it's been almost *2* months since they said it was going to be implemented 'in the coming month' and... Nothing.. ... And, unfortunately, from everything I have read about Artiphon, if it's not here yet? Chances are it will never be. I had bought the 2, the silicone sleeve, ane the case hoping it would be a good little instrument. 180 bucks worth of Nope... Just an expensive, semifunctional toy. Time to get that money back....

They just dropped a new version of the app with Song Saving :)

3 people like this

And it seems to be working

1 person likes this
Interesting. Anyone else try saving and have it work? Maybe I'll unpack it and try things, again...

1 person likes this

Yep. It does sound like it’s working.

And it saves XML files in `~/Documents/Artiphon/Common/Songs`. Apart from “event data”, it’s human-readable. It might even be possible to change the “tuning” (scale/key). I’ll experiment with that when I get a moment.

1 person likes this

Is the save functionality meant to work only on computers?

1 person likes this

Awesome!  thanks for the updated PC app and Firmware update!  I can now save.  The only issue is, where is it located, and in what format?  I understand that we can use a midi player.  I have one installed but haven't tried it yet.  I don't think the XML file can be imported to create music, but then again, I'm a novice at creating songs in midi.  

Yes! New samples. Firmware update. Fixed resizing of content to fit in screen. Ability to save! Song library tab! This is all in the latest Windows and Android app. You can still only update firmware through the desktop, so make sure you use that first.

Login or Signup to post a comment