Start a new topic

Tabla drum kit or djembe

Hi it would be great if a tabla kit or djembe kit could be added as a drum kit please?

1 person likes this idea

Here are the Tabla presets (one Drum and one Lead). They both use the same SamplePool and are bundled together. I made 8 levels of velocity for 5 Tabla sounds and repeated some of the sounds for easier playability. I still don't know why the Lead is quieter. I'm also not convinced its possible with the Orba to get a wide range of velocities (like a MIDI keyboard). I think the Bezier Curves have something to do with the range of velocity inputs it can interpret. I started looking into this with Orba1 and quit but might look into it again... 

zip
(1.64 MB)

1 person likes this

Steps to Install:

1. Unzip and drag the ‘Common’ folder into /Users/<username>/Documents/Artiphon and it will ask to merge the contents (Hold <Option> on Mac while doing this and it should give the option to Merge). You would do this with no Orba attached and the app closed.
  2. Start the app and let it scan (or force a scan from the Settings). Verify that the entries were correctly logged in the app.properties file.
  3. Restart the Orba 2 app and turn Orba off/on for good measure.
  4. Select the Tabla Lead Preset or Drum Preset and hopefully it allows ’Send to Orba’. Press it and allow 4-5 minutes.
  5. Check the Preset location icons and hopefully it shows available in App and Orba..
  6. Restart everything, Hopefully it now allows ‘Play’

1 person likes this
Hi don’t worry I have works it out thanks Chris

1 person likes this
Yep -is works -a massive thanks to you and I managed to get your hand pan to work too The hang pan/drum is totally amazing-I’ve always wanted a pan and now I guess I finally got one

1 person likes this

@Ignis32 I just tried PocketMIDI!!! Wow what a great tool to have for debugging! Thank-you!

1 person likes this

I found some samples! I'm pretty happy with what I have so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R_x80VVC60

1 person likes this
Thanks for the work on this -really silly question but how do I get it into the orba2? I’m no coder or anything Thanks

For anyone that has tried Tabla Drum Preset, do you find it is crashing the Orba too often? I found this was happening with the PanDrum too when I was developing it. I found that the template I was using contained:

<ModifierChain chainIndex="0">
    <Compatibility majorVersion="1" minorVersion="0"/>
  </ModifierChain>

Even though the ModifierChain was not used, somehow this must instantiate a modifier chain (which likely consumes memory and chained events). I removed this from PanDrum but forgot to for Tabla. I've made this change locally and it seems to perform much better.

It's still crashing a little. I'm going to convert all samples to 48Khz and change the pitches to -1 as using -1.08844 likely is causing a little more stress on the tiny little CPU.. I'll report back if it actually makes a difference.

Had not tried Tabla yet, but I had a feeling that  I am getting  too much crashes, but was not sure if it is custom presets that causes that.  

Hypothesis with sample rate is interesting, at least most of my custom presets use existing factory presets as a template, and not a lot there could be done wrong, so there is also not lot of other things we could try besides sample rate regarding crashes.

But to my knowing there are factory presets with non-48khz samples, so probably Artiphon decided that it is fine at some point. And lead presets are doing a lot of pitch shifting anyway for non-drum instruments to fill the gaps between the  notes which have their own dedicated sample, not to mention pitch bends.

P.S. hope that it is not a cause, as  changing sample rates will most probably ruin frame-based loop markers in the SF2 converted stuff I do. 

I agree with the fact that the non-Drum voices do lots of pitch math already, so it likely won't have an impact... But I'm still going to try for the Drum Preset to see if the result gets better or stays the same. I hope it will not make a difference.

I'm looking into making one! There are so many Tabla sounds out there that I'm not sure which ones to use.

Ok sure -I use an app called drum jam -on iPhone I would be happy to record 8 samples but wouldn’t be able to organise them into a “kit” as don’t have those skills What do you think? Thanks Chris
Cool -is there any way I can get that preset?
Login or Signup to post a comment