Start a new topic

Orba 2 Custom Preset Repository

This forum is intended to share Orba 2 Custom Presets amongst the Orba 2 community. NOTE: Please upload Presets as a .zip file beginning with the folder Common as described in the first post of this forum.

4 people like this idea

I should add that I have noticed the synthPatch and seekers can affect the sample based presets in strange ways. In the process of making mine I got some very strange noises! In the end I resorted to editing the seekers to just the keypress first entry. For a while I was plagued by an effect that cut the note off prematurely when the finger moved towards the centre of the Orba.

Perhaps we should try and establish a "clean" template as a better approach to it than just trying to remove the things we don't want - which is what I have been doing.

@Subskybox - Many thanks for your replies.

I had noticed the error in the noteThreshold parameters. I forgot to ensure that I had used the corrected version when I made the zip files.

I hadn't noticed the error in the SampledSound entry though - surprised about that, I thought that I had only cut and pasted the values, so it could have existed in the source for the entries. I will look into that today and post updated versions.

I agree with your idea for consolidating the presets made already and perhaps as a community we should try and create a thread only for submitting presets and keep the discussions about them elsewhere - I appreciate that this thread was perhaps meant for that, and I have been guilty of spoiling that!

I found dealing with the sample based presets quite confusing. I think the 79 should be left out entirely, and that seems to work OK, but I am not confident that that is the right thing to be doing. (In this case there are 25 chromatic samples over 2 octaves.) And I'm really confused about sample groups - but I've not needed to use them yet.

Incidently, as I understand it Audacity converts 16 bit files to 32 bit on loading them - but I have noticed that an installed version reports them as being 32 bit while a portable version does report them as 16 bit. Again I'm confused! but if they work that's enough for me.

(I have been using a portable version for Orba stuff to avoid having to keep changing the preferences.)

Again, many thanks.

@DavidBenton 

I noticed a few small errors in the Dulcihack.artipreset file that I needed to correct.

Note the period between 78 & 79

And also:

@DavidBenton @Ignis32

I had a chance to try all of your Presets this evening. Fun stuff! You've given me some ideas to improve my scripts. I'm thinking that we should combine all of the posted Presets in a single Common folder/zip file so that people who come here in the future can just download one zip with 10 or so Presets in it. Let's wait until we develop some more. I have a bunch of ideas and samples collected, but haven't found the time to work on them. I challenge myself to create a few more Presets in the next two weeks! :P

I have two new sample based presets here to share.

They are both made from samples of an instrument which was built like a hammered dulcimer but tuned like a hackbrett (a chromatic dulcimer).

The first, Dulcihack, is a lead preset. The second, DeepDulci, is a bass preset - for this the sample had to be manipulated and it may be rather odd! So there is a warning about this one - as the notes get higher some overtones in the sound become more prominent which makes it a bit weird.

I have not been able to test these with other keys and scales as much as I would like, but as far as I can tell they work OK.

If you dare to try them I hope you enjoy them. Use the methods to load them that have been described here previously. Either merge or copy all the elements from the Common folder in the zips to the Common folder in your Documents/Artiphon/Common folder (that's for Windows, for other OS's I don't know, I'm afraid.)

zip
(5.15 MB)
zip

Two new synth based presets for the Orba 2. These are a Diatonic Major, and Pentatonic Major versions of a wooden pipe organ type sound. In the higher octave it becomes a bit more like a bamboo flute or whistle, and in the lower octave soft and smooth.  I deliberately chose to keep them clean. No gestures, minimal reverb etc.

Install by merging the Common folders as described above or copying the image and preset files into the  images and lead folders respectively. 

Hope you might enjoy them.

Thanks to the guys above in this thread - they're understanding help a lot.

zip
(200 KB)

1 person likes this

Awesome! Can't wait to try them. I will use my new deploy script to test. Almost made it to version 1.0 but need to find time to add a few additions for stem creation.

1 person likes this

And a couple more  tyros pads. 

zip
zip

2 people like this

P.S. Generated with the following tuning:

"Chords": {

"tuning": "57, 59, 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69",

"intervals": "P1, M2, m3, P4, P5, m6, m7, P8",

"key": "A",

"chord_minor": "0, 3, 7, 0; 0, 3, 8, 0; 0, 4, 7, 0; 0, 3, 7, 0; 0, 3, 7, 0; 0, 4, 7, 0; 0, 4, 7, 0; 0, 3, 7, 0; ",

"chord_major": "0, 7, 12, 16; 0, 7, 12, 15; 0, 7, 12, 15; 0, 4, 7, 16; 0, 4, 7, 12; 0, 3, 7, 12; 0, 3, 12, -4; 0, 4, 12, -5; ",

"name": "Natural Minor",

1 person likes this

Looks like I am finally getting some dividends from my SF2 converter.

Here are a couple of custom orba presets, made from instruments from  SF2 soundbank based on Yamaha Tyros 4 synth.
One is kind of a space pad  that reminds me of  UT99 jungle soundtracks, and another is just a nice human choir.

Only known issue at the moment is that it might sound dirty due to excessive volume. It can be solved be reducing volume for this particular instrument ( A+vol_minus) . (NOT  master Orba volume).

archives this time should match your convention, @SubSkyBox :)

zip
zip

2 people like this

@Ignis32 - thanks for that - I'm happy enough about hashs.

At the moment I'm either modifying or trying to create sounds in Orbasynth - but it seems to do weird things sometimes,  but then I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to VCA's LFO's etc. ! Once I have a set of settings in an Orbapreset I can put them into a Orba 2 format - but some elements of it I can't figure out  eg: to get gestures etc. working. (I just spent almost an hour creating a sound I liked and then broke it when I tried to do something with the gesture mapping section! The worst bit of that is that I lost a chance of getting some hints about how they might show up in the preset to see how it works.)

I agree that a gui app is possible but I don't have the skills to do it and we have no idea when or whether Artiphon might offer something so I'm just trying to do what I can for myself, and will share it to help those who want to try.

>>I was concerned that the hash I used for the image was not made from the image file 

As to my knowing after spending two month on editing artipresets,  for all these uuids all over the artipreset xml -   for evading any issues - it is enough that they are:

•  32 characters long,
  • contain only [a-z0-9] symbols,
  • and also are unique (preset uuid should be unique and not shared with any other preset for example)  

It is not a checksum or something like that,  and there is no requirement for them to match content. You can generate them any way you like, even type randomly, if it complies with rules above.

md5sum is just a convenient method of automating uuid generation, not a requirement.

--

Regarding orba synth preset generation,  as soon as I've already managed to parse/unparse artipresets with python,  it should be possible to create a gui app for editing synth params.
The problem is, that it will not be any match for original orbasynth - without emulating synth sound, tweaking dozens of params blindly does not look feasible to me.

Hope Artiphon is working on orbasynth2. But due to the lack of communication, you never know if it is not developed, or  will take years or presented tomorrow.

I have just managed to create a synth based lead preset for my Orba 2. Not sure if anyone else has managed this so far.

Basically I used Subskybox's Clarinet artipreset file and created a template (in Windows Notepad) removing all the references to samples. Then created an orbapreset file in Orbasynth (in this case it was a modification of the tilt lead voice). I then transferred the information from that into the template adding an image and the meta type info. I was careful about the formatting of these entries. Then transferred ifles to the common folder

It's not entirely successful (apart from the fact is doesn't sound great!) in that I lost the pitch bend that was an important part of what I was aiming for - but at least I got a working preset. Whether I lost that in my modifications in Orbasynth or in the transfer of data I'm not sure.

The scale setting was for Major pentatonic but when I tried it it was playing in minor - but this may just have been inherited from the song I previously had on the Orba 2 I suppose.

It's not an elegant way of doing it, but didn't involve much in the way of skill. I hope this might be of use to others.

As an aside, I was concerned that the hash I used for the image was not made from the image file - just a random one - but that hasn't mattered.

At a later date I will share the template - but I want to see if there are improvements I can make for function and useability.

I'm not a big fan of Clarinet either, but at this stage I'm sticking to audio samples I can find.. I wanted to try something where the velocity changes were obvious (Staccato vs. Legato). Now that I am almost done with my deployment scripts, installing/uninstalling presets will be very quick and easy.

Happy New Year!

@Subskybox I only received my Orba 2 yesterday. I tried a variety of presets and found precious few that I felt were useful. The rest seemed mostly gimmicky or so sugar coated with effects that they became useless. And a few were unpleasant - as if they were designed to make people feel queasy! I expected something like this but it was worse than I had hoped for. I found myself wondering whether anyone at Artiphon had listened to them before pushing them out! 

I would go along with what you say -  but my thing for the moment would be preset sounds that will work for me but I expect to have to make them myself and I'm a bit wary of samples (storage space concerns) for the moment.

But I strongly feel that Artiphon would do well to help and encourage customers to create and share the things they can - Artiphon can benefit and learn from them.

(Never been a fan of the clarinet, but yours sounds very good, by the way!)

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment