Start a new topic

Orba hacking knowledge base

This thread is intended to gather the feedback of Orba tinkerers.

27 people like this idea

(There's some discussion about this opn the Orba forum here.)

That table above says: "Note On / Note Off Velocity". Perhaps they're both part of the Tap seekerData string. I think I found a setting that turned the velocity response off; I'll see if I can remember it. 

Wow you've posted so much information its going to take me a while to catch up! I'd like to try to build a mind map of how all this stuff fits together. Some kind of hypothetical model even if we think the Sun resolves around the Earth for now.. some kind of working model. I feel like we are missing a piece or two but maybe looking at the big picture will help.

@BJG145 I think there might be some velocity settings in the Touch SeekerData.. I remember coming across this when I found that some sounds were softer than the same synth patch. If you've ever seen the setting for monophonic vs. polyphonic I'm really looking for that.. It might just be implicitly set but I know any Preset dropped in the Bass folder becomes monophonic and adding chords also makes it monophonic. I believe I once had polyphonic chords in the Lead folder but I don't think I kept it :(

>" I believe I once had polyphonic chords in the Lead folder but I don't think I kept it"

If you copy a Chord preset to the Lead folder and load it from there, you can play chords in Lead mode...is that what you mean...?

Not quite. Each Chord Pad cuts out the next. I believe I had it where I could play two Chord Pads at the same time to form a poly chord. Honestly, I've done so much messing around I can't keep my successes and failures straight. Maybe I'll compile a list:

SUCCESSES (from this forum):

1. Modify Thumbnail Images

2. Create Custom Chords

3. Create Custom Scales

4. Create some clever Presets

5. Continued understanding of hardware/software

6. ...

FUTURE HOPES:

1. Find Drum settings that can be tweaked realtime

2. Find an interesting use for Spin gesture

3. Understand how gestures are bound to synth params and cc values

4. Have Orba record pitch effects

5. Examine Bezier and Song Base64 data

... Requests??

Also one thing I've realized about pitch bending (Index 23) does not implicitly control the bend range but rather the starting tone in cents. Setting it to 0 lowers the starting note therefor giving a larger bend range. If you play a note from one of the altered bend patches then a normal patch immediately after you hear that the altered patch isn't really in key.

>"Not quite. Each Chord Pad cuts out the next."

I hadn't noticed that. The Tap gesture for chords has different seekerData with its own index (11). I ghuess this is the "Chord Event". This updated table includes a column taken from Faux Chords. I think other things like gestureUuid and ModifierData are the same.

...also note the change from 8 to 32 in row five. Maybe that's connected with the polyphony.

(...the last two values in the column are 0,0 like Tap Lead...)

"Also note the change from 8 to 32 in row five. Maybe that's connected with the polyphony"

...after all, the chords have four notes...makes sense... 

The Chord Editor specifically sets those values (11 & 32). Here is that section of code:

tmpModifierArr[0] = 2; // Modify required ModifierData pointers to apply note offsets

// Modify required SeekerData pointers to apply note offsets
let seekerDataNode = doc.documentElement.getElementsByTagName('SeekerList')[0].firstElementChild;
tmpSeekerArr = fromBase64(seekerDataNode.getAttribute('seekerData'));
tmpSeekerArr[1] = 11;
tmpSeekerArr[4] = 32;
seekerDataNode.getAttributeNode('seekerData').value = toBase64(tmpSeekerArr);	

modifierDataNode.getAttributeNode('modifierData').value = toBase64(tmpModifierArr);
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("modifierUuid");
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("gestureUuid");
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("uuid");

1 person likes this

Maybe SeekerData index 4 is "Max Notes"? 8 for Tap/Press/Radiate, 32 for Chords and 1 for everything else..

1 person likes this

Notice the 112 and 113 under Spin and Move. These correspond with the CC numbers for the Orba Manual. 

Could you add a few extra columns to your spreadsheet (Index for 0-n and Comments to record what we think that index does). I think I'm starting to see some of what might be going on here. Can you share up the updated csv file so I can add to it?

1 person likes this

Seeker Data CSV

csv
(1013 Bytes)
Login or Signup to post a comment