Start a new topic

Orba hacking knowledge base

This thread is intended to gather the feedback of Orba tinkerers.

27 people like this idea

>"@BJG145 Are Radiate & Bump really both Index 9?"

...hmm, I'll check...

...I may be mistaken, but, it seems so. Referring to Ian's list, Bump begins "AAk" and the decode begins 0, 9, 0. Radiate begins "AQk" and the decode begins 1, 9, 0. 

Ouch! Sorry for the formatting mess.

...for general reference, "Pitchbend" doesn't really belong in that table of gestures, though it's still interesting to see how that that value compares. Out of the gestures, there are only two with a duplicate at the 2nd place, and they're the two "Events". Maybe Bump/Radiate and Tap/Press don't clash because Events and Metrics are dealt with differently...?

Does anybody know anything more about tuning / scales? I'm trying to make a harmonic minor lead patch, but no luck yet.

I successfully made a Grapefruit lead patch that is modified to be a major scale, thanks to Andrea's post, but further experimentation with adjusting individual values in the TuningEntry section is fruitless. 

First I thought that changing the root note would work just by e.g. 

key="A"  >>  key="B"

But that doesn't seem to have an effect. Even if I match the note values, like:

tuning="57, 59, 60, 62, 64, 65, 68, 69"

It still doesn't work. I can't figure this out...maybe it has to do with changing the transpositionType value?

Anybody else messing with this?

(matching note values & scale intervals)

COnnecting to the main card, I can still boot it in DFU mode and flash the firmware, but it won't boot now; just flashes the LEDs. Not very surprising. Possibly it wants battery/speaker connections to boot, or maybe I damaged it. I'll carry on tinkering with it a bit. 

I'm interested in the layout of the sensor board, which seems to be capacitive-touch based; the folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\capsense

...contains a file called: "orba_capsense_bootloader". I'm familiar with simple touch-on/off capacitive touch, but I'm curious about how the Orba is able to detect finger movements aropund the pad.

(...basically, taking the Event/Metric flag at first place into account, the first two values taken together provide a unique signature across the table...)

Hi Rusty - the Orba is controlled entirely by an on/off button beside a rocker buttons on the pad, by touching eight sensitive triangular areas around its circular top together with a central button, and by various "gestures" which involve eg shaking or turning the device.

I think the hardware is actually quite cool; I still like it, and I think it would be quite possible for a blind person to play and enjoy using the hardware. I can't really talk about how accessible the software is, which allows you to change sounds, etc., as I don't know what's involved in that.

As far as playing the hardware goes, you may find you can orientate your fingers relative to the controls on the side, or perhaps put physical markers around the edge if that helped.

It makes an excellent wireless MIDI controller for use with software  like Ableton Live, so if you have an accessible DAW music program on your computer that can  work with MIDI controllers that could be another option. 

Here's a list of Metrics and Events as they appear in the App code:

Tilt - Metric

Move - Metric

Move X – Metric

Move Y - Metric

Move Z - Metric

Pressure - Metric

Lift – Metric

Shake – Metric

Spin – Metric

Radiate Absolute - Metric

Radiate Delta - Metric

Slide - Metric

Vibrato Absolute - Metric

Vibrato Delta - Metric

Pitch Bend - Metric

CC - Metric

Tap - Event

Bump - Event

Shake - Event

Palm - Event

Chord - Event

Midi File Processor - Event

"Lift" sounds like "Release velocity", but I don't know how we'd find seekerData for it. I don't know what "Palm" would do. It's interesting that "Chord" and "Pitch Bend" appear, since they're not gestures, but know they tie in with the Modifier/Seeker lists like the others.

(I don't think "Chord" means "pad in Chord mode", since there's no similar entry for Lead or Bass. I reckon it's more that chord formation is part of the Modifier/Seeker structure.) 

"Receiver/Sound generator should be set to a pitch bend range of 48."

>"This suggests that range is settable in the Preset?"

I think this refers to setting the pitchbend range on a synth being played via MIDI; it's an MPE thing. Eg:

https://studiocode.dev/resources/mpe/#:~:text=By%20default%20the%20Pitch%20Bend,synthesizers%20like%20Equator%20and%20Strobe2.

"By default the Pitch Bend Range is 48 to match the default pitch bend range of MPE synthesizers like Equator and Strobe2."

...so, backtracking a sec, if we consider this code fragment...

IIRC the numbers in the "tuning" section govern the notes, I didn't think anyone had figured out what the entries in the "intervals" section do. The trick of changing notes only worked for the "percussion" type, and I don't even know if the "intervals" entries are meaningful for that type. All I'm aware of is that with the percussion type, you can fix the notes, but it reverts to one of the standard scales if you transpose. 

(There's some discussion about this opn the Orba forum here.)

(In other words, you can make presets containing whatever scales you want, but only in a fixed key. If you can get beyond that you're ahead of the curve.)

Login or Signup to post a comment