Start a new topic

Orba hacking knowledge base

This thread is intended to gather the feedback of Orba tinkerers.

28 people like this idea

You're welcome. I wish I had more time to experiment with this.

1 person likes this

Does anybody know anything more about tuning / scales? I'm trying to make a harmonic minor lead patch, but no luck yet.

I successfully made a Grapefruit lead patch that is modified to be a major scale, thanks to Andrea's post, but further experimentation with adjusting individual values in the TuningEntry section is fruitless. 

First I thought that changing the root note would work just by e.g. 

key="A"  >>  key="B"

 But that doesn't seem to have an effect. Even if I match the note values, like:

tuning="57, 59, 60, 62, 64, 65, 68, 69"

 It still doesn't work. I can't figure this out...maybe it has to do with changing the transpositionType value?

Anybody else messing with this?

(matching note values & scale intervals)

Hey! I never experimented on that.

I just assumed that changing intervals and midi note values would work... :-/

As I have seen is the TuningEntry name the only important setting for Bass & Lead (internal sounds) with values "Major", "Major Pentatonic" and "Minor Pentatonic" known to me - I would expect that the other settings are for midi. 

Looks promising. 

Just by googling, maybe:

WG = Waveform Generator

LFO = Low Frequency Oscillator


:) :)

Looks nice @Roger Mepham. Hope we could also run this on a PC.

Yes, should be able to run on Mac and PC, to run the GitHub file from but you will need to obtain the free version of Livecode community authoring tool.

HI, I'm working on a Preset editor, what values do you use for the coverImageHash and uuid attributes? i.e. coverImageHash="38909232068284" uuid="1a77c107db6b4875993a1e81689e0e79"



Roger, uuid is usually any ‘unique identifier’ - looks like they’re using hex for that so make sure the length is right, use any valid hex and see what happens.  The cover image hash will be a hash/checksum of the base64 encoded cover image code itself - you’ll need to check some of the existing images to find out which type of checksum they’re using.  I would expect MD5, it’s very common.  Plenty of sites online that will let you check that out.

Ok here is version 1 of my Orba Preset Editor. It's written in LiveCode which you will need to run the app. (Get LiveCode free from

I can't get the images to work as I cannot work out how the uuid and CoverImageHash are calculated, if you know then let me know.

Get the Orba Preset Editor on Github at



12 people like this

@ Roger - Thank you!

I don't know what I'm doing and what the values stand for. But it seems to work (Windows) :-).

As you say in the help text, Drum Voices are currently not supported.

When saving a preset I entered a new name again, but that was not necessary.


1 person likes this

@ Roger, Excellent work there, I knew someone would beat me to it, but then I don't know how to code a GUI.

The Cover images are "Base64" encoded graphics files. Basically an ASCII encoded binary of an image, something I recognised from my days as a Production Engineer back in the '90s, which I had to do sending files over a modem and in the early days of to the WWW when you couldn't send binary files through some of the servers.

So to get the images to work,

Start by extracting the image from the XML file, that is the bit between :-

tagList="#basic" coverImage="



-: i.e. everything between the two quote marks (") and save as a plain text file.

Fire up an online converter, I used the one here

Use "Import from file" and you should see the Orba image created, if you did it right ;-)

Save the image and read its properties. The important bit is that it is 120x120.

Create your own image, in what ever package you prefer, and save it as a 120x120 PNG file.

Yet another online converter, I used the one here

Create the Base64 text file and insert it into the gap between the two quote marks (") in the XML file.

Sorry if this is a bit wordy, but better too much info than not enough.

Automate that into your editor, and we'll have something to wave at Artiphon as to what we have been waiting for.


Thanks, Alan, the base64 encode/decode is the easy part in LiveCode. You can see the image on the screenshot above that's from LiveCode doing a base64 decode of the XL attrubute. The problem is the uuid and coverimagehash. I cannot see how these are generated. I tried MD5 for the coverimagehash value with no luck. When I saved the XML back out with a new image base64 encoded the Orba tool just displays a generic Orba image. I actually don't think 120x120 is a requirement since a couple of custom presets on this forum have larger images but in LiveCode I do resize just to be on the safe side.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment