Start a new topic
Implemented

The inability to save my songs on my Orba 2 is a deal breaker fo me.

This is functionality that should have been an 'out of the box' feature, not a "We'll add it in the coming month.." which is the reply I got from support.

To be honest, If I don't get a response soon about WHEN this ESSENTIAL USABILITY FEATURE will be available - at the moment it's barley above a glorified toy and NOT worth the money or my wait time - I will want my money back...soon...

Why would I want to compose / write / take the time on this if I can't save it?

EXCEEDINGLY disappointed....

4 people like this idea

Just figured out song saving is a upcoming feature. So short term we have a glorified noise maker. This is essential part of the experience. Confused why it was rushed to market without this available

4 people like this

From pages 29 and 30 of Orba 2 and Orba user Manual:

@Artiphon For the sake of transparency you may consider editing the manual so that it reflects the sad reality that saving is not currently a working option on the Orba 2.

3 people like this

Christian, "We don’t want to make any promises that we can’t keep" is Artiphon's euphemism for "We're not going to do this and hope everyone will eventually give up or forget about it". It was their standard response for quantization in the Orba 1 and for updates to the Orba 1 app. Now they're just applying the same approach to Orba 2.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Orba. But if any features it doesn't have right now are deal-breakers for you, I would recommend returning it while you can and maybe buying again if the update ever comes.

3 people like this

They just dropped a new version of the app with Song Saving :)

3 people like this

Orba 2: A toy, a fun toy, but still just a toy.

3 people like this

So, that's answered the first half of the question.

How long can I hold on to the unit before I CAN get my money back...?

I REALLY don't want to wait to get basic functionality for what could possibly be months and then find out I cannot get that money back.

That's reasonable, right?

3 people like this

I have had mine for about a week now and notice that the mk2 crashes about as much as the mk1, and getting a 5 minute loop going is never going to happen.  I've tried it with several apps (ios and android) and it loses connectivity often. The orba 2 app is quite buggy as well.  I was going to take some video but the whole thing seems wonky, so I can't even find a starting point.  The sounds are vast improvement but it was not ready to ship yet imo. I hope they can  improve the midi connectivity, and the frequent crashes, but for 150 bucks its fun and I can accept the limitations, but it is no studio in the palm of your hand yet.

2 people like this

Excellent point, @Paulo!

2 people like this
It's been almost a month since I received my Orba 2 and raised this issue. I still haven't received any sort of updates or responses that saving songs is happening. This needs to happen within the upcoming week or so or I will be sending it back to receive a refund. I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED...

2 people like this
Also disappointed. Not surprised. There’s a lot to like about Artiphon, on paper. We get the impression that at least some people in the company “get it”. Yet, it’s consistently disappointing in practice. Like a person biting more than they can chew and finding excuses for not finishing the meal. I like the toy itself. I likely won’t use it much until (and if!) they bring back that essential feature.

2 people like this

Received my Orba, today (had two Orba Mk I, already). Been hoping that Artiphon issues had been ironed out, at this point. (Quality hardware plagued by software inadequacies.)

So I started playing with the device itself. It’s more fun than the original one in a few ways… a point which is completely moot if we can’t save what we create.

So, basically, the product wasn’t ready for launch. And that's more than disappointing. It’s deeply concerning.

I still hold hope that the premature launch (emphasizing self-promotion more than what people can do with the device) isn’t a sign of systemic issues with Artiphon. And we’ll get the Minimum Viable Product in a timeframe which isn’t that completely unreasonable and unconscionable.

Others would (and will) laugh at me. I still prefer to hold hope. 

Evan’s answers don’t fill me with hope, though.

1 person likes this

Maybe useful to know…

The original Orba app does support saving (obviously!). And it sounds like it works with Orba 2.

So, unless I’m mistaken, there’s a cumbersome workaround for Orba 2 owners who want to use the product as intended: load that old Orba app and save the patterns there. Far from ideal and it really heightens the absurdity of the situation (the QA process is strict enough to delay software features yet disconnected enough from product development that people have the hardware in their hands before the most basic features are ready).

1 person likes this

I like the idea of Save / Save As. I think people are used to this. I think pressing + at the beginning would be something many forget to do. Most people create a loop and think: "This sounds good, I should save it!".. but then they click Save and save over some other sweet loop from before.

1 person likes this

While you’re right that it’s a euphemism (and quite “tonedeaf” given the unkept promises which got us in this situation in the first place), I sure hope they don’t abandon this basic feature. Your quantization example (a promise they didn’t keep) is solid. Saving our work is more fundamental. Especially since a form of it existed in the Orba 1. (And I’m quite sure saving was mentioned in the original marketing campaign for Orba 2.)

Having said that, you’re right about current dealbreakers. Users should only keep their Orba 2 if the current state of things is acceptable. We can’t assume that the company will fulfill its promises.

1 person likes this

And it seems to be working

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment