Start a new topic

Orba 2 Custom Preset Repository

This forum is intended to share Orba 2 Custom Presets amongst the Orba 2 community. NOTE: Please upload Presets as a .zip file beginning with the folder Common as described in the first post of this forum.

4 people like this idea

ok i tried your stuff and i mean, bless you for trying, and also now i remember why i hate midi, anyway the solution to this problem according to me is to get a little device and just add a pitchshifter and bunch of effects. with that you can basically have way more practical uses for the orba. honestly i cant figure out how they made a device so amazing to use. the antilatency thing is fckn-a. i love it. but holy shit did they mess up. i hope someone with more passion than me can reverse engineer the firmware and redo the thing but better. jailb0rked orba2! omg did i just mutiny? am i banned now? heck
Meow, no you didn't start a mutiny, no you're not the The first person to think of this, quit trying so hard to be cool It looks desperate and not cool.
miller, its adorable that you think your opinion matters to me. ill be me and you can keep saying things that nobody cares about. dork.

Hey, people let's keep it friendly here, please. It's been a nice place to be so far, let's not spoil that.

This thread was intended for sharing the things we have done with presets. We should keep it to that. 

When I get my thoughts in order I'll create a thread where you can discuss what you want from the Orba 2 but bear in mind that what we want may not fit in with Artiphon's vision of what the Orba should be.

I have done a quick clean up of the Artiphon Hand Pan preset. In my opinion the use of pitch bend on it makes in unusable holding the Orba in hand. So I removed that. I also made a chromatic version using my preferred version of @Subskyboxs' trick,  I don't think it works well - but someone might like it. It would be easy to modify that to use tilt for this rather than position of touch on the keys as I have done here.

Artiphon used a small sample set (a good thing) but I feel using a larger set would have allowed using velocity to give different sounds which would be more like a real instrument. One or two of the samples seem to make my Orba make scratchy noises -  this happens sometimes, I 've abandoned one or two sample sets I made for this reason. That could be just my Orba playing up though.

As long as you have the Hand Pan preset (Lead) loaded, all you need to do is load the artipreset file(s).

(You can delete them if you want to - you won't lose the Hand Pan samples and preset if you still want them.)

I was going to hold back posting these synth based presets until I could get round to making a collection of my recent experiments. But these presets are, I think, the best and most beautiful I have made. You don't even have to use them in a song to get a lot of pleasure from them. You might even find your Orba 2 seems incomplete without them.

Try versions 3 or 4 of the chord presets using key 1 to keep the beat with and the others for a bit of melody. There is a gentle percussive hit to the notes that makes this work well.

The Oct Lead preset is particularly good to play simple two part contrapuntal with the lower part played on keys close to the centre and the higher on the outer rim parts of the keys. It takes some practice, but it's well worth the effort. You can get results you wouldn't have thought possible.

Please note the Chromatic and Octave capable versions probably won't play well with external midi the devices and software. I don't do that myself so I haven't tested it but the way these are made means they may not pass the right midi messages to do it.

As ever, thanks to those whose efforts in finding and sharing how presets work enabled me to make these.

zip

Hey folks, As I am interested in the orba2 as a songwriting companion, and since it is so cumbersome to change keys, I've come up with an idea for a multi-chord preset.I was inspired to think about this when I saw Floyd Steinberg's video on youtube about making presets.So, instead of having all chords for one key, what about a subset of chords from several keys? Taking inspiration from a button accordion, The chords are arranged in the circle of fifths, (I IV V) played with the middle, index, and ring finger respectively, and the minor VI played with the thumb placed on the opposite side of the circle. For the following example, the chords (allowing the keys of G, D and A,) are arranged (pad 1 G, pad 2 D, pad 3 A pad 4 E, pad 5 Em, pad 6 Bm, pad 7 F#m, pad 8 C) These chords are arranged in such a way for the key of G, the middle finger hits the tonic chord (G) The index finger chord IV (C) the ring finger chord V (d) and the thumb VI (Em) Turn the orba to your right, put middle finger on pad 2 (d) and your pattern is repeated in the key of D.One more turn to the right, middle finger on pad 3 note (A) and the pattern is repeated in the key of A. Additionally in some keys there will be a few other related chords. What are your thoughts?Has this been done already?Any suggestions for improvement or any problems I'm missing?:)Rusty

@Rusty Perez - Your idea is not without value but wouldn't be as useful as you hope I think. As you change key to play on bass and lead the chords shift with them which would defeat your purpose. To make a set of chords as you suggest would be straightforward -  Subskybox created a tool as an aid for for doing it,  (originally made for the Orba 1.) However, a set like that might have some use, and the fifths principle might work well for moving around a chord set, but I feel it would be best designed for the single key.

The voicing of each chord is worth paying attention to (not just it having the right notes) it can make a set have real character rather than just function.

@David Benton I completely agree that there are limitations on this type of chord set, but I have a specific use case in mind. This chord set is not for the person who will be building an entire production for a single song, or for building a loop with all parts. The idea here is for the singer / songwriter who has an inspiration and wants to immediately be able to sing it over a chord progression, and continue fleshing out lyrics or melodies with his / her voice. This would be intended for self accompaniment most likely in realtime. The real drawback of the way the Orba has been designed is it's complete reliance on another device to change sounds and keys. My guitar has no such limitations, at least on keys. But the orba has an advantage there, it fits in a pocket, backpack, or the glove compartment. When I pick up my guitar, I don't have to decide first what key I want to sing in and then connect it to another device to set it up for the key I want. I just play a few chords.What I would hope to do with these multi-chord sets is to remove some barriers to organic and immediate songwriting with the orba.

1 person likes this

@Rusty Perez - Ok, in that case I would suggest making a set as you propose but with power chords (ie: with no thirds). That would be more flexible but perhaps not sound so good for the job. So make one with major and minor chords which would sound better but more limited. Note that chords that jump in pitch range don't tend to sound so well on the Orba than they would on a natural intrument - in my opinion.

It would be possible to make a drum preset playing samples of chords and that could have eight or sixteen chords though you would have to get the samples together and plan the arrangement carefully. In theory, it's possible to have 24 samples in a set - eg: a full set of major and minors. But playing that would be tricky  (and I've not actually managed to make one that does that and actually works yet).  Drum sets have been used to get past the scale limitations on the Orba, but this method could be used for your purpose.

Oh, it's just occurred to me that using Pitch Bend (set to switch by a fourth of fifth, perhaps) would enable something with better range on a chord preset - that seems to me a good way to go. Yep, I'm beginning to think that could work well.

1 person likes this

@Rusty Perez - I've worked out a scheme that makes sense to me using power chords. Also a set  mixing major and minor chords and with guitarists in mind for the choices (I'm one, so I'm going on what I would do for myself) - it leaves gaps on the minors in particular,  but there would always be some compromise whatever.

I will try and make a couple of presets demonstrating these when I can. If you want to use different synth patches or adjust the arrangements you'll have to do that for yourself.

1 person likes this

@Rusty Perez - here's a preset to try.

When in a major key (set by choosing an appropriate song and then choosing the chord preset to play):

play the keys 1 - 5 close to the center you will get, if you are in C,

C D E F# G# major chords,

play those key near the rim of the Orba you will get chords a fifth above.

This gives you three chord tricks in a triangle on adjacent keys in a few keys. 

The last three keys use a similar principle, but offer minor chords - hopefully the more useful ones.

If you are in, say the key of D, all the chords will shift up a tone from C.

In a minor key I have used instead open chords with no third and so are neither major nor minor. But they go in fifths in the same way over all the keys.

These are not the options I would favour myself,  but they show how it could be done. (Modifications would mostly be a matter of altering the chord lists in the presets.)

zip

1 person likes this
@David Benton 
Cool! Thanks for giving this a try!
There seem to be a few possibilities then.
I'll give this chord set a spin.
Can you please point me to a post where it explains how to alter the chord lists?

@Rusty Perez - I'm not sure there was a single place where it is explained - I may just have gleaned information from various other posts and worked out the rest myself!

You have two options - make a new version of the preset or just modify the existing one. I recommend the former (but either way ensure you keep a back-up of the original - you're likely to want it at some point).

First, deal with the header - give the preset a new name and a new uuid. This is a MD5 hash. (You can find online generators for this.) The uuid must be unique (vital), but it isn't a hash of anything in particular - any rubbish will do to generate one. I am sometimes lazy and move around sections of the original one to jumble it up a bit. 

Always check that the factory and readOnly values are 0. This will ensure you can delete or modify the preset later. The mode for this should be Chord - the other options are obvious - Lead, Bass or Drums.

The rest doesn't matter - do what you like.

It's a good idea to "save as" the file at this point so you are now working with a new file and you won't spoil your source file accidently- you will need to use the uuid in the file name (copy and paste) - it always comes at the end and is preceded by an underscore. (This convention also applies to sample files, images etc.)

If you are bothered about it you can change the image as you like - you can use one that already is on your Orba or make a new one -  it's a square image in .png format. There was some discussion about the required size - I started with 500x500 pixels but it seems it can be anything square -  I'd go with anything from 500 down to 120. Out of habit I stick with 500 but smaller might be better.

The entry for the image is usually near the bottom - it doesn't have to be there though.

Right, now to the actual chords. It's not complicated but can be a mind bender. Let's assume we're in the key of C for simplicity. (I think in harmonies best in D, G or A minor so I sometimes use that - it doesn't matter really.)

There are 8 chords in both the major and minor lists. Note the format - including where the spaces, commas and semi-colons are - stick to it.

Each chord consists of 4 numbers - the notes of the chords. They are relative to the root note. The first note is C - so a number 0 means you get a C, a 4 will give you an E (that's 4 semitones up) and so on. And as you can see you can also go down using negative numbers.

Now this is where it starts to strain the brain - the next chord will be based on D so you need to use numbers relative to D, and so on through the scale.

For the minor list it is relative to that scale ie: a flattened 3rd, 6th and 7th. that's Eb, Ab and Bb in the key of C.

The four notes don't have to be in any order - not sure it makes any difference but it's probably least confusing if you go from low to high.

You can use the same note (and same octave) twice in one chord -  but not 3 or 4.

There seems to be a limit to the overall range of the notes allowed. I think it might be around  two octaves but I'm not certain about this -  you can use numbers over 12, negative or positive but you are more likely to hit that limit when you do - just try to keep the range of notes down if you can.

And as you are now aware the end product of each chord doesn't have to bear any relation to what the key would normally play.

It is likely that you will make a preset that won't appear in the app at some point and won't load. Don't panic. Check for things like your uuid's, and errors in your chords - you're bound to make one some time.

If, when you test your preset something is wrong you can edit the file (I'd recommend doing that on a work file and once done copy it to the Artiphon folder replacing the old one.)

Even if you left your Orba set to that preset you will then need to click on it and choose the "Use the App" option, to load the corrected version.

I think that covers about everything - you'll probably work out the rest as you try it out.

The trick I played to get extra chords in fifths is done by the 3rd entry in the seekers section - it uses pitch bend. If you don't want to use it, just remove that entry.

(Don't forget you can make any different versions you want to try - unlike the Artiphon presets you can delete these  -  but delete in the App -  don't just delete it from the Artiphon folder.)

2 people like this

As an after-thought to my discussion with Rusty Perez about chords it has occurred to me that with an Orba with 7, not eight keys, it would be possible to create a set of open chords (ie: no thirds) that would play chords in any key using the same fingering patterns wherever you started (and therefor in any key). The 8th key messes up that idea. 

It couldn't work in Lead or Bass presets unless you used samples (perfectly tuned) and could switch off the pitch adjustments the orba does with samples. (I guess it is not impossible that there is a way of doing it if there is a way to switch it which we have not discovered yet.)

Sadly just a thought experiment, no more.

Login or Signup to post a comment