Start a new topic

Unresponsive Orba? Follow these steps

Follow this article for step-by-step instructions.

1 person likes this idea

Repeating over and over did we download the latest app.  to which the answer is YES.  Does not count.

HEY SUPPORT.  Do you have an actual fix for this that does not involve having a Mac and or three arms.  If not I am going to register a complaint on Kickstarter.  I will be patient until Saturday.  You have my email with pics and other data since last Sunday.   I understand rollout problems but having no official responses that I can see and leaving us to fend for ourselves is very unprofessional.  If any of the people on this thread are actual Artiphon employees please re-post and real info you have an identify yourself as an employee.

Hi, thank you. Don't think it should be dome this way. We don't have a third hand ) so I just e-mailed support. 

Hi there,

same issue (got Orba 2h ago, played 5 sounds, hooked it up, Firmware update, and dead).

After some fuzzing around, it seems I have the right finger acrobatics (at least for mine):

- dead Orga is connected to computer via usb

- Orba desktop app is off

1. start Orba app and open "Settings"

2. locate previously downloaded "Orba_Fw_0.13.19_PreRelease.zip" file and have it ready in an open folder besides Orba app window

3. Press "Shift" at computers keyboard AND Orba´s "Power"-button at the same time

4. Now (with your 3rd hand) click and drag the "Orba_Fw_0.13.19_PreRelease.zip" file into the open "settings" window of orbs app. DO NOT release shift or the power button.

4a. maybe mouse-click once back into orba app

5. if lucky, lights start spinning and flashing

6. When/if 5. occurs (lights start circling) THEN release shift and Power

7. Flashing stops and 2 green LEDs shimmer: all is good

8. Orba apps settings window shows Fw 13.19

9. let it charge.

Works for me so far, no clue if it might die again.

I hope this helps, but it can be complete superstition, too

Got my Orba an hour ago. The same issue. Tried to connect Orba to the App on several PCs (Win 10/Win 7). Nothing. Suggestions from this topic didn't work either. Agree, it's kind of frustrating considering the waiting time in general. Filed a ticked with IT. 

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It's good to hear some of you have made progress but mine is totally dead and none of the suggested fixes work. Still no word from support which is very frustrating.

1 person likes this

I've gotten all the same responses with the old version of the app as well as the new updated version.

Very sorry to hear that. Did you use the latest Orba app version, v0.14.13? If your app did not update automatically, it is also available here: https://artiphon.com/pages/downloads

In the same boat as most here.  I've tried the hard reset, installing the firmware via clicking the button in the software, and also downloaded the file to do the drag and drop method.  I've disabled all of my security and am still getting the "Orba not connected" message with the drag and drop method.  My unit still works on the default settings, but no ability to update or change the settings, or in other words use it to even part of its potential.  I did some further digging and have been able to see through my device manager that the Orba is registering via USB and is recognized as Artiphon Orba.  Going to attach this screenshot to my ticket already in place and hope that some sort or response is received.   

I'm literally trying to update my orba on my other computer which has no antivirus beyond windows defender on it. I'm running the Orba app as administrator. The shift-click firmware update seems to have just completed. Orba seems to be working fine now.

Ok, some good news for a change -- I got my Orba working again.

I decided to try another laptop, removed the virus detection software, in this case, ESet.  It has a very powerful low-level detection mechanism that has blocked other processes on me in the past.

Once I restarted the 2nd macbook, I followed the shift-click firmware update, and it didn't stop dead in its tracks like it did every other time I tried.  Orba app indicated it was updating, spun and spun, and about 3 minutes later, it was done, displaying a message "Nailed it."  Sure enough, the lights came back on.

If you're getting immediate blocks or fails when you're trying to update your firmware, consider this problem.  I know not everyone can disable or safely remove their virus checker, particular Windows users, but this is what worked for me.

I'm wondering if there's a way to download the firmware update only, so that once that's done, users could then disconnect from internet, and only then turn off or remove virus checker.  And then you'd need a way to find the firmware file in your local directory.

Hope this helps, I know all too well how frustrating this is!

Same here except windows 10 machine for me.

Just to be clear -- the shift-click method gives me pink dots and a "try again" message.  It does not work in my case.  

1 person likes this

Thanks, Arne, I appreciate your response, but neither of these work.  The Orba had charged for over an hour yesterday while plugged into my usb-c port on a MacBook Pro 16".  The second I started to run the firmware update, the Orba app quit unexpectedly, and then all the lights went out on my Orba.  This has not changed despite several attempts at all the posted fixes. 

I'm attaching the full log from the the special file cloud-drop firmware recommended, this is the same, consistent result each and every time.  Does this provide you any insight?

1 person likes this

Still a brick I tried it both ways.  It does not turn on before the update and trying the update both ways fail.  

Here is the screen from the drag and drop method.

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Update Info

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Utilities

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - Capsense Bootloader

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - ESP32

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - DFU

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Uploading Firmware

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Executing: C:\Users\jbrun\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Unable to update - Orba not connected

15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Upload Failed

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment