Start a new topic

Orba hacking knowledge base

This thread is intended to gather the feedback of Orba tinkerers.

27 people like this idea

No I don't. But I imagine they are just like these:

1 person likes this

@Subskybox just a quick thought, but if/when you look at adding a set of alternative scale tunings, maybe the data for these could be stored in a separate file in a way that allows people to add their own.

I'm interested in looking at Hang drum tunings myself...:-)

1 person likes this

I made an absolutely disgusting hack (thread here, Windows only) to automatically tune the Orba based on what song you're listening to. It involves gluing a streaming service to a Firefox Extension, to a small server running on your computer, to AutoIt for clicking on the necessary buttons to change the key of the Orba.

Granted, if Antiphon provides an API to do this it would be a whole lot easier :)

1 person likes this

Oh... You must have a background in marketing!

1 person likes this

The Chord Editor specifically sets those values (11 & 32). Here is that section of code:

tmpModifierArr[0] = 2; // Modify required ModifierData pointers to apply note offsets

// Modify required SeekerData pointers to apply note offsets
let seekerDataNode = doc.documentElement.getElementsByTagName('SeekerList')[0].firstElementChild;
tmpSeekerArr = fromBase64(seekerDataNode.getAttribute('seekerData'));
tmpSeekerArr[1] = 11;
tmpSeekerArr[4] = 32;
seekerDataNode.getAttributeNode('seekerData').value = toBase64(tmpSeekerArr);	

modifierDataNode.getAttributeNode('modifierData').value = toBase64(tmpModifierArr);
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("modifierUuid");
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("gestureUuid");
modifierDataNode.removeAttribute("uuid");

1 person likes this

@ Mick: I would if I could.

It would be nice if Artiphon gave some clues to editing presets.

You can use the editor Roger Mepham made.  Or take an existing preset and edit in a text-editor.

I'm afraid it's more or less a matter of randomly adjusting values, saving the preset, loading it into the Orba and trying it out...

1 person likes this

Maybe SeekerData index 4 is "Max Notes"? 8 for Tap/Press/Radiate, 32 for Chords and 1 for everything else..

1 person likes this

This UI suggests that quantize was once global but they are converting it to "per-part" which is better.. Drums usually always benefit from being quantized but a lead can sometimes have quick notes or slurs which should not be quantized.

1 person likes this

Notice the 112 and 113 under Spin and Move. These correspond with the CC numbers for the Orba Manual. 

Could you add a few extra columns to your spreadsheet (Index for 0-n and Comments to record what we think that index does). I think I'm starting to see some of what might be going on here. Can you share up the updated csv file so I can add to it?

1 person likes this

An example of just messing around...

zip

1 person likes this

@ Mick: 

I think it is possible to emulate 'real' instruments on the Orba. But of course it remains a small synthesizer with technical limitations.

It would be nice if Artiphon would be a bit more transparent about the possibilities. Now we are very dependent on the Artiphon design team. And that team has not been known for speed so far.

Stating the obvious: Re-installing the app will bring back the standard presets you lost.

1 person likes this

If you edit the Orba application in Notepad++ and search for text parameters from the XML like "RetainNotes", you can find alternatives that I haven't seen in the XML, like "RetainIntervals".

A typical tuning entry looks like this:

<TuningEntry key="C" name="Major Pentatonic" intervals="P1, M2, M3, P5, M6, P8, M9, M10"

midiOctave="3" transpositionType="RetainNotes" type="tonal" tuning="60, 62, 64, 67, 69, 72, 74, 76"/>

So far we haven't found any result from changing the "intervals" list, only the "tuning" values. I think that may be because the transpositionType is set to "RetainNotes", but if you change it to the alternative "RetainIntervals" value found in the App code, I reckon that's where the "intervals" string might start changing things.

I reckon it might be something to do with the way the chord sequence change when you change key in the App. I got some different result from it at one point, but couldn't then recreate it.

It might be worth scouring the code for other parameter values like this that we don't know about.

1 person likes this

There is something curious about the highlighted area.. pattern for a gesture is either 00000, 20011 or 31111. In one case it is 31110.

1 person likes this

@BJG145 said:

• "So I guess maybe delorean.bin is loaded into memory from Flash on startup...? Maybe note data and other settings are stored there, then written on shutdown."
I had a funny experience recently where I was recording a song. I was pushing it harder than I usually do and the Orba App crashed. It rebooted itself and when it returned a song that I was working earlier was now in memory?! I totally lost my song but at least this seems to support your theory.

1 person likes this

I am so happy that this thread found the interest of many Orba users there.

I wish I had more time myself to fiddle with it. 

Great job. Keep going!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment