Start a new topic

Orba Utilities

This Topic is discuss the Orba Utilities created by myself. New discoveries can be discussed here but should also be posted to the Orba Hacking Knowledge Base

Orba Utilities are located here: https://github.com/subskybox/Orba

6 people like this idea

It's a great toolbox. Unfortunately I trashed my Orba-2, which turned out not to be so robust for hacking as Orba-1. I've just picked up a 3rd Orba-1 on eBay though;always wondered if I could make some kind of chromatic instrument out of three of them in a case shaped like a pool triangle...!

@Subskybox, I have been reading some stuff on the forum, and would like to say thanks for your work. Its absolutely insane that you have had to make tools for Orba. Its such a shame Orba2 is so different from Orba1. I really feel for you. Orba should Hire you, Somebody should be on these forums. Its crazy that you have been giving more support than they have.

Thanks again, I hope they opensource their stuff. 

1 person likes this

No it was made for Orba 1. There are limitations for Orba 2, so I never bothered to update it. I'm hoping Artiphon will build this functionality themselves.

1 person likes this

Does this tool support orba2?

Personally I feel like they could do much more with the Vol +/- buttons. In the same way you hold A+(Drum|Bass|Chord|Lead) and then control per-part volume, Artiphon should be able to hold A+OCT and use the Volume +/- buttons to change the key. It could sound the root note each time you click one of the volume buttons.

They need to figure out a way for change Patch as well. We know with Orba 2 that all the patches are stored in the device, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do similar to change drum sets without need a secondary app for example.

3 people like this

...right, yes...turning octave up/down into semitone up/down would be a huge improvement.

Subskybox
said 5 months ago

The Holy Grail would be to find a way to change Key | Maj/Min from the Orba itself.

Agree. Similar to Octave Up/Down, but KEY Up/Down would make the Orba much more useful for jamming with other people. The less you need the app for the better.

BJG145
said 5 months ago

@Subskybox I've only just realised that you can get a 9th note out of Lead mode by tapping the side. It would be cool to be able to tune that one as well. It generally seems to be a low note in the same voice.

This doesn't seem to work on the Orba 2 anymore. 

It's been a while since I looked at this. @Subskybox previously noted that: "any Preset dropped in the Bass folder becomes monophonic and adding chords also makes it monophonic"

As far as I recall, the preset you start with, and the folder you load it from, can both make a difference. Maybe make sure that you start with a Lead preset, and load the edited version from the Lead folder...?

Loading new modal presets into the lead mode seems to result in a monophonic instrument. Is that the idea?

Amazing work Many thanks!

Just fixed it. I forgot one line of code (or accidentally deleted it)

I admit I haven't done a lot of testing with the Browse button (I prefer drag & drop). It was working well at one point. Also I haven't tested in Edge w/ Chrome either since my PC died about 5 days ago. The motherboard was 10 years old so I guess I did okay. I'll take a look at the Browse button when I get my new PC built. Thanks for pointing that out.

...this looks brilliant, thanks. :-)

(...still find that I need to drag the first starting template rather than using "browse", or the "download" button doesn't work for some reason; Windows 10, Edge/Chrome. After that first one I can use "browse". It might just be my PC, and it's not a problem once you're aware of it.)

1 person likes this

I've pushed up the Orba Editor Alpha and updated the README. I deleted the Editor branch and moved everything to the Master branch since I won't be maintaining the Fiddler versions. Older Daemons and Fiddlers have been moved to the archived folder. I need to record a new Demo video which I hope to do soon. 

@BJG145, @Steve, @GJ van Mulbregt

Very much looking forward to your Feedback before I announce this to the Orba Hacking Knowledge Base

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment