Start a new topic

Unresponsive Orba? Follow these steps

Follow this article for step-by-step instructions.

1 person likes this idea

Yup me too - managed to update firware once after much fussing around. Then after around twetnty minutes of use I switched it off and it has since refused to restart - completely dead. Have tried to reinstall firmware but it's unrecognised as a USB device so no joy. Really frustrating. I've logged a support ticket and await a response.

Same here send an email direct to the support email and also thru the support screen.  Including screenshots etc. So far as we say crickets.

Same here. Send an email to technical support .

I am going to give them a week to at least contact me personally.  New launch and all that and then I am going to involve Kickstarter.

I was able to get my unit “unstuck” by holding down both the power button AND the “-“ on the volume control. This appears to do a hard reset. I then let it fully recharge overnight. This morning I was able to get the firmware upgrade done and the unit is functioning properly. I can power it up and down and play it as designed. I will report back if it dies or locks up today.

1 person likes this

OK held down those two buttons for a minute.  No change.  Still a brick.  Letting it charge yet again.

1 person likes this

Thanks for adding this, I'm glad it worked for you.  Did you get any indication at all when you held the two buttons down, did the lights flash or was any sound emitted from the Orba.  I tried it several times already, but nothing indicates it's been reset.  Thanks!

Yes, if Orba is charged, pressing the power button and the volume down button (-) at the same time for 15 seconds is the hard reset. There is no sound but Orba should power up normally after that.

If it does not, the shift-clicking on the firmware update cloud symbol in the app's settings page is the other way this could be resolved.

Our customer service team currently has a lot of tickets and the responses take longer that they should, we apologize for that.

Still a brick I tried it both ways.  It does not turn on before the update and trying the update both ways fail.  

Here is the screen from the drag and drop method.

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Update Info

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Utilities

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - Capsense Bootloader

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - ESP32

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Downloading Updater Util - DFU

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Uploading Firmware

15 Sep 2020 11:53:03am - Executing: C:\Users\jbrun\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Unable to update - Orba not connected

15 Sep 2020 11:53:07am - Upload Failed

3 people like this

Thanks, Arne, I appreciate your response, but neither of these work.  The Orba had charged for over an hour yesterday while plugged into my usb-c port on a MacBook Pro 16".  The second I started to run the firmware update, the Orba app quit unexpectedly, and then all the lights went out on my Orba.  This has not changed despite several attempts at all the posted fixes. 

I'm attaching the full log from the the special file cloud-drop firmware recommended, this is the same, consistent result each and every time.  Does this provide you any insight?

1 person likes this

Just to be clear -- the shift-click method gives me pink dots and a "try again" message.  It does not work in my case.  

1 person likes this

Same here except windows 10 machine for me.

Ok, some good news for a change -- I got my Orba working again.

I decided to try another laptop, removed the virus detection software, in this case, ESet.  It has a very powerful low-level detection mechanism that has blocked other processes on me in the past.

Once I restarted the 2nd macbook, I followed the shift-click firmware update, and it didn't stop dead in its tracks like it did every other time I tried.  Orba app indicated it was updating, spun and spun, and about 3 minutes later, it was done, displaying a message "Nailed it."  Sure enough, the lights came back on.

If you're getting immediate blocks or fails when you're trying to update your firmware, consider this problem.  I know not everyone can disable or safely remove their virus checker, particular Windows users, but this is what worked for me.

I'm wondering if there's a way to download the firmware update only, so that once that's done, users could then disconnect from internet, and only then turn off or remove virus checker.  And then you'd need a way to find the firmware file in your local directory.

Hope this helps, I know all too well how frustrating this is!

I'm literally trying to update my orba on my other computer which has no antivirus beyond windows defender on it. I'm running the Orba app as administrator. The shift-click firmware update seems to have just completed. Orba seems to be working fine now.

In the same boat as most here.  I've tried the hard reset, installing the firmware via clicking the button in the software, and also downloaded the file to do the drag and drop method.  I've disabled all of my security and am still getting the "Orba not connected" message with the drag and drop method.  My unit still works on the default settings, but no ability to update or change the settings, or in other words use it to even part of its potential.  I did some further digging and have been able to see through my device manager that the Orba is registering via USB and is recognized as Artiphon Orba.  Going to attach this screenshot to my ticket already in place and hope that some sort or response is received.   

Login or Signup to post a comment