Start a new topic

Received the Orba, wont turn on after firmware update

The Orba arrived this morning, I was able to play with it for a bit before downloading the IOS app and being told to update the firmware. I did and after it completed the Orba will no longer turn on. 

8 people have this problem

My orba app closed while it was performing a firmware update and now my orba will not light up either.  I do hear the windows chime when connecting it to the computer, but it wont turn on.  I've tried the suggested Shift+Click firmware update but it just keeps saying "and error has occured".

8 people like this
Thank you, Ken! We are currently working on a fix and we will make that everyone affected gets back up and running.

7 people like this

I've tried several different USB ports, still no luck.  The program immediately says "There was an error updating".

7 people like this

Hey all! We've got a new approach to solving the issue of unresponsive Orbas. This should get your Orba up and running while we update the Windows app.

I've attached a file to this message that contains the current version of Orba's firmware. Once you've downloaded it, plug Orba back into your computer and drag this file on top of the Firmware Cloud icon in the settings of the desktop app. You shouldn't even need to unzip it. This will force a local firmware update as opposed to downloading the update from the cloud. Once updated, your Orba will exit DFU Mode and return to normal playing mode.

Note: if this doesn't work the first time, try holding the 'Power' button on Orba for a moment and attempting again. It's actually possible for Orba to turn on/off in DFU Mode, but because it's outwardly unresponsive you may not know if your device is on or not.

zip

4 people like this

FWIW I'm an embedded systems developer familiar with the STM32Fxxx microcontroller family.  DFU mode is definitely not a complete bricking.  From what the logs tell me, they're in an embarrassing spot for sure, but it should be simple enough to resolve.  It just takes time is all.  Give them a couple weeks before throwing in the towel eh?

4 people like this
I also have done embedded development for many years and agree with @Michael Peters. In the world of Windows 10 it is impossible to test with every possible configuration. Mac is a much more buttoned-up world without many possible configuration options. Using myself as an example; my computer is one I custom-built with a variety of off-the-shelf components. I doubt Microsoft or Artiphon have ever seen anything with this particular configuration. And the DFU mode means the embedded processor is waiting for code to be loaded. It is not dead. Once the guys at Artiphon figure out the communication issue we will be back in business. I have faith.

4 people like this

I think the updater is 0.14.9, but the Orba itself is dark - no lights, no sound, no external indications of life at all.  The only thing telling me there's anybody home at all is that the computer still beeps when I plug the Orba in.  I haven't been able to spot it in the device list, but Windows does recognize that a device has been connected.

So far... just "An error occurred during the firmware update."  I count myself lucky if I see "Updating.  Talk among yourselves." for more than a split second.

4 people like this
A few minutes ago I received an email from Artiphon support. Attached to it was a firmware file for the Orba. Following their instructions I successfully installed it on my Orba. It is now up and running. I am one very happy Orba user again.

3 people like this

Could you try to connect Orba to a Mac or Windows PC using a USB cable and open the Orba app, click on the "A" in the upper right corner to open the settings, and click on the cloud symbol while holding down the shift key on your computer keyboard and wait for the update to complete? If the firmware update got stuck for some reason this should complete the update.

If this does not work please let our customer service know so that they can help resolve this.

3 people like this

@joe Ferguson, no luck for me. To be honest that's about the (at least) tenth time I tried a power cycle. The fact that some methods work for some people but not for others, while other methods work for another group of people makes me think that there are multiple problems occurring here. Unfortunately, I don't think anything that is proposed here on the forums will be a general fix that gets everyone up and running.

Thanks for the suggestion.

3 people like this

This morning (in Japan), I have found that artiphon has released newer version of Orba app for Windows (0.14.13) so that I updated the app and connected my dead Orba to my pc. 

With a few try of updating Firmware with shift clicking update cloud icon on the app, my Orba revived finally!

The desktop app shows the serial number of my Orba, firmware version (0.13.19) and App version (0.14.13) described as above. 

I appreciate very much to the tech support team for their hard work!

Best regards,

3 people like this

I just checked my email and they had sent me a local update file that worked beautifully.  My Orba is back up and running.  Thanks Jeremy @ Artiphon you've made my day!

2 people like this
We are currently examining what is going on here. If you had a failed update and if we can get your help, could you get a log file from your computer here: Mac: /Users/YOU/Library/Artiphon/Orba/FWUpdateLog.txt Windows: C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\FWUpdateLog.txt And send it to support@artiphon.com with a description of your Windows/MacOS version and installed security software? Thank you!

2 people like this

THANK YOU! Shift-clicking the firmware icon worked. 

2 people like this
Same problem here. Windows10 pc after update software. Orba doesn’t work anymore... I tried all approach of this discussion.

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment