Start a new topic

Received the Orba, wont turn on after firmware update

The Orba arrived this morning, I was able to play with it for a bit before downloading the IOS app and being told to update the firmware. I did and after it completed the Orba will no longer turn on. 

8 people have this problem

If you tried charging Orba, shift clicking on the firmware update symbol in the Mac app and holding the volume down button and the power button for 15 seconds and this did not work the support team will get you back up and running.

After reading about some people having success today I was hopeful and worked on my Orba again. Unfortunately nothing worked. I added Orba to the exceptions list of my firewall, turned off virus protection, and ran Orba as Administrator. No luck. Still a dead device. I updated my ticket with the information and added the log file. I sure hope they find a solution soon.

i uninstalled Orba app and did not update. it works fine now

I found that if your orba goes totally dark while you're connected to your computer, the "shift+click" update may also fail because the device is off.  Shift+clicking the update cloud will also fail if you're stuck here.  Anyway, this worked for me: 

Close the desktop app after you're sure it has been updated.  While leaving your "dead" orba connected to the usb, hold power button and volume (-) down until you hear it "beep-boop" from windows (it will power off and unrecognize).  Then do it again until you've heard the right beeps when you connect something to windows.  Although the orba is still dark with no lights, you at least have it powered on in windows.

Relaunch the app and try shift+clicking the update cloud again.  Mine launched and work after going through the power recycle sequence.

Hope it helps guys -

Very sorry to hear that. Just double checking, after charging and Orba not turning on, did you try to hold the power button and the volume down button (-) for 15 seconds? If the app doesn’t open after closing the app (swiping up from the bottom of the iPads screen so that you can swipe through the apps, then swiping the Orba app up to close it) the next step could be to delete the app and install it again.
Thanks, I’ll pass it on to the support team so they can send a replacement and get the one you have back for examination.
Uninstall the application and reinstall it. Do not update. This woke the Orba back up. IT is working now.

Not really looking forward to receiving this anymore. Mine has been in transit for the past 12 days, god only knows where it’s coming from. When it does eventually arrives it seems I have all this crap to look forward to. Disappointing. 

@Arne Wallbrecher

Hi, I am not a user but I am interested in this issue.

Are you developing in a virtual environment such as Parallels Desktop? It works because the drivers are bridged in the virtual environment. However, in real Windows, it seems that there is a problem because the correct driver is not assigned.

If so, I think it is necessary to develop and distribute an installer that includes the driver on a real Windows machine.

I'm sorry if it's irrelevant.

I used the latest version of the Mac app today to update the firmware. I got the same error notification that it failed, but it showed as what another user said was the latest FW version (x.13?). I no longer get the "update firmware" message in the app, but there's a new problem. If I connect to the Orba from the iOS app, it just disconnects immediately. I can press the buttons in the app as if it was connected and would work, but nothing does. 

Early adopter times. I kinda wish I'd read this thread about units becoming unresponsive after following the directions in the mobile app, the desktop app not behaving right in as far as updating the firmware. 

Successfully resurrected my orba using the mac desktop app (0.14.6 from the website). The key for me was to not update the desktop app (ignore the update popup) and just go directly to shift + clicking update firmware.

@Michael, I'm in the same situation. I don't have access to a Macintosh and I've tried every combination of plugging, re-plugging, resetting, charging, and manipulating Windows' firewall and anti-virus that has been mentioned here and a few that I thought of on my own. Nothing has worked. Like you I've fallen back to the position of "sit and wait and hope that the Artiphon guys come up with a solution in the near future."

I assume you'all tried getting Orba connected and firmware updated using your different usb ports? a 2.0? 3.0? powered? unpowered? looked for error messages within windows device manager pertaining to usb ports?  i know zero about apple stuff. I;ve seen poorly designed firmware updaters fail in some ports, but not in others, and in some machines but not in others.  I have an audio interface that is like that.

Seems like a common thread in the successful recoveries by Will and Gary above is that if you're on a Mac, do the firmware update before updating the desktop app to the newer version.  Think I'll uninstall it and roll back to the older one before my Orba arrives (soon, it's with my local carrier).

Arne, is there something different with the FW updater code in the new version of the desktop app that could be causing the issue? 

Hi - in case it helps I want to mention that I have windows10 and Norton 360 and Norton was stopping mine from updating. Once I told it to let the update happen it worked beautifully. Hope this helps. There is a picture of the screen from norton that I posted earlier when I was having troubles you can look up as well. Thank you!
Login or Signup to post a comment