Start a new topic

Preset Creator and Sampled Presets

Is there a way to load and modify a preset that is created with a sample? None of them seem to show up when I am trying to load one.

I would suggest opting to save it rather than loading it direct. Choose "Save" then enter a name (easily missed!) and then "Export" - at that point you don't need to give a name but rather the destination folder for the preset. I would then prefer to save it to a working folder and edit a few things in the xml - like the Artist, Description and Tags. (I would normally do some other things as well.) Then place the resulting file in the User>Documents>Artiphon>Common>Preset>Lead(or Bass or Chord) folder. Drums are done differently. The sample will have been made into a few samples which will have been created in the SamplesPools folder in the "Common" folder.

The process is a bit odd - not like "save as"  usually works. (Sorry I'm Windows only so it is a bit different on Macs.)

I think if you choose "Load" it only temporarily sends it to the device's memory but doesn't put stuff into the app so it gets lost - but I don't try and do it that way so I'm not sure what does happen!

Once you've done that (after a restart) you will see the preset in the app and when you choose it it will get loaded to the device (it's the same process for the Orba 2) and you are done. (You can make minor edits to the preset afterwards if you want or need to - but be careful.)

The problem with using the preset creator with a sample is that the different pitches are made by changing the speed at which it is played. This has two issues - it makes the sounds weird and the length of the sound is changed. Some sounds don't get so weird - a sine wave sound will always be OK, but a human voice sounds odd with anything more than about a whole tone shift. The length thing is that to make a note an octave higher the length it sounds for is halved, going down it is doubled. (The creator makes a set of samples but it doesn't take account of these effects. It just helps the devices play the notes without having to change the speed too much on the fly.)

It involves more work, but I prefer to use sets of samples made at 3 or 4 semitones intervals over 3 or 4 octaves, using Audacity to make samples at pitches I don't have samples for - you can change the pitches there without changing the duration.  Ideally, you would use more samples at closer pitches but that means more work, more samples and more storage space used - the 4 semitone is a decent compromise, 3 is better if I think it is worth the extra effort.

(You also need to ensure the samples are in the right format - this, and other things, were worked out by people playing about with modifying presets for the Orba 2 last year.)

Login or Signup to post a comment