Start a new topic

Received the Orba, wont turn on after firmware update

The Orba arrived this morning, I was able to play with it for a bit before downloading the IOS app and being told to update the firmware. I did and after it completed the Orba will no longer turn on. 

8 people have this problem

Yikes! My Orba seems to near my door and I would think will be arriving in a day or two (finally).  But now I dont know if it is safe to install it because I obviously dont want it to be a paperweight after reading some of this thread

So I would like to know if the new firmware patch I saw here which I downloaded actually works and if it is safe to install Orba when it comes (finally). 

It's a win 10 machine and I have the win app installed.  Also have the Android beta installed on my phone but I;m not going anyhere near that for now. I dont have any Apple devices.

Soooooo...what do I do? Thanks..anyone in the know? The irony of waiting all this time to receive something and then  not being able to use it is remarkable

@Jeremy

Thanks for uploading Orba firmware zip. 

But my Orba's firmware update failed on Windows10 yet. 

I think dfu-uitl is not downloaded on C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win

So I manually placed dfu-util.ext and libusb-1.0.dll but still update failed. Update log is below

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Downloading Update Info

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Downloading Updater Utilities

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Downloading Updater Util - Capsense Bootloader

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Unable to find extracted utility - Capsense Bootloader

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Upload Failed

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Downloading Updater Util - ESP32

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Unable to find extracted utility - ESP32

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Upload Failed

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Downloading Updater Util - DFU

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Uploading Firmware

10 Sep 2020 8:09:03am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

10 Sep 2020 8:09:04am - Putting Orba in to DFU Mode

10 Sep 2020 8:09:06am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

10 Sep 2020 8:09:06am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:44:force -U C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:07am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:will-reset:force -D C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:08am - Unable to write option bytes to device

10 Sep 2020 8:09:08am - Upload Failed

10 Sep 2020 8:09:08am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

10 Sep 2020 8:09:09am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:44:force -U C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:11am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:will-reset:force -D C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:12am - Unable to write option bytes to device

10 Sep 2020 8:09:12am - Upload Failed

10 Sep 2020 8:09:12am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -l

10 Sep 2020 8:09:13am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:44:force -U C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:14am - Executing: C:\Users\aselectroworks\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\dfu-util.exe -d 0483:df11 -a 1 -s 0x1fff0000:will-reset:force -D C:\Users\ASELEC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\temp_5bc423c8\firmware\option_bytes.bin

10 Sep 2020 8:09:15am - Unable to write option bytes to device

10 Sep 2020 8:09:15am - Upload Failed

10 Sep 2020 8:09:15am - Error Installing update - DFU

10 Sep 2020 8:09:15am - Upload Failed

There is nothing in C:\Users\ilove\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities\dfu-util-win\ for the method of updating the farm locally. What about distributing this utility in advance?

@Kenneth

I am sorry for my unreadable pictures attached. 

I have converted them from PNG to JPEG and hope it works.

Without going into all the details it appears that Windows wouldn't play nice with the Orba app. Even though I gave it firewall access and turned off virus protection, the Orba app couldn't download the required files into the folders under UpdateUtilities

Path to folder is C:\Users\YourUserYName\AppData\Roaming\Artiphon\Orba\UpdateUtilities.

Jeremy at Artiphon Support sent me a link to a zip file of the folder, which I unzipped and copied into the Orba folder. 

Did a SHIFT-CLICK on the cloud icon and the firmware update worked!

If you have windows and cannot update Orba firmware I think it would be best to open a trouble ticket after checking if the folders under UpdateUtilities are empty. Include the version number of the Orba app and that the folders under  UpdateUtilities are empty. 

SUCCESS.JPG
(70.4 KB)

1 person likes this

@Edo
I'm just a user like you, but I did experience the DFU mode problem.  My Orba recovered nicely with the file and instructions Artiphon provided to me.  I've been playing with it fine for a couple days now, so aside from the updater issue I have had no problems.  I suggest it's still worth playing with, then if you do have any issues, create a ticket on this site and they will help you out as soon as they can.  Better to gain some benefit from the device and possibly have to fix it than gain no benefit because of fear to open the box.

P.S. When you plug your Orba into the Windows USB port your should hear the same sound a USB drive makes. If you don't, while still plugged into the USB port press the MINUS & POWER buttons together until you hear the connected USB device sound. 

If for some reason you can't update firmware yet, while plugged into the USB port you can press he MINUS & POWER buttons together until you hear the disconnect sound. 

Also while connected to USB you can go into Bluetooth & Other Devices to see the Orba without STM32 BOOTLOADER

Another forum member discovered this and it is a good way to see if your Orba is still alive. 

1 person likes this

Hi Michael...I agree. It installed fine for me...and I was doing a lot with it problem free until I tried to use it with my Android device which didnt work and now it is in DFU mode after reconnecting it via wired connection...I did the stuff recommended and that didnt work so now i need to open a ticket

Fixed it (for now)....this kind of reminds me of the early days of windows..opened a ticket but am sure they are swamped..i think they will respond at some point.

I have tried everything suggested on this thread and none of it resolves the issue. I currently have a paperweight that doesn't turn on. 

Looking at these comments the issue seems to be whether the app recognises you have an Orba plugged in. When the serial number is recognised then the update seems to work. When you, like me, plug it in and it says "not connected" because it doesn't recognise it then none of the help on this thread works. 

1 person likes this

have you uninstalled the application, reinstalled without running the firmware? This worked for me on my mac.

All the suggestions didn't work until this morning when I decided to try a USB-C / USB-C cable instead of the USB / USB-C cable that came with the Orba. Getting rid of the adapter to plug it in to my MacBook seemed to do the trick.

My only issue is charging now. Been plugged in for days and it still won't turn on unless plugged into power.

What does the battery level in the app show? It sounds as if it may just not have been charging. Do you have something else you can test the supplied cable with to see whether it's working correctly?

It wasn't until this morning that I was able to actually turn it on because of the firmware fiasco. But I did have the Orba plugged in to battery during the time it wouldn't turn on in hopes that by the time the problem was troubleshot it would be ready to go. Evidently it wasn't charging while defunct.

After getting firmware to work it was plugged in to the computer for about 5 hours before I unplugged it. Tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. Just got the flashing red light and then off. So I plugged it into a charger just after commenting earlier. From the phone app it appears to be charging now and almost full. I'll turn it on and off as soon as the Orba cup is full.

Login or Signup to post a comment